Vista Boots In 2-3 Seconds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by greatdevourer, Sep 25, 2005.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Probably the speed to restart the machine after a save memory state to the HD and shut down.

I'd like to see how fast it reboots.
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Yea... didn't they get rid of the BSOD and replace it with a random reboot?

Well, if that's true (I dunno.. I read it somewhere), you'll find out within 10 minutes of using Vista, no?

I swear, I have an ability to crash windows like no other... I can sit there, and be browsing with FireFox, and then.. **BAM** Freeze'd. :(
  4. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sleep....hmmm.....I swear I've heard of that one before.....

Even if it starts up quickly, I'm sure it will take awhile to make things actually be usable since all those problems will probably continue to start at start-up, without an easy way to turn them off.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    start up that fast fresh out of the box, and that will be the only time right? ;)
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Microsoft made Vista reboot as quickly as possible so it won't be as inconvenient when it crashes every 25 minutes :p
  7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    I'll believe it when I see it. Either they're referring to sleep and wake, or they're relying on how fast computers will be then.

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway

Seriously, I think Vista might end up being very stable. From what I've read they've done some changes to how audio and video drives access the system. Considering the only thing that's crashed my XP systems are bad drivers, this could do wonders for the stability.

But start up within 2-3 seconds? WTF? I'm not believing it until I see it, unless they're talking about their "New" Sleep mode. Not even BeOS started that quickly.
  9. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    is this using iRAM technology? i see no way even a 15k scsi raid could boot that fast...
  10. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    So you can connect to Mapped drives that aren't mapped yet, and start working on doccuments saved on your server before you are connected to it?

Seriously a load of hogwash!

I respect Microsoft, and like most of their products, but this can't work, unless they got rid of secure connections to their servers now!
  11. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think they ment you can play solitaire while you wait for everything else to load after booting up.
  12. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Unfortunately, it can't protect user DATA, only user DAT... whatever that is :p
  13. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    User.dat is part of the Registry, I believe, so that's good news. ;)
  14. peterparker macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2005
    Vista Boots In 2-3 Seconds

... and crashes in 1.
  15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ...or they're taking what they did with XP to the next level. Though XP appears to boot much faster than 2000, it's just a trick. Even though the logon screen is there, most of the system services haven't yet started, just enough to display the logon screen. Everything else is still starting up in the back ground.
  16. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Got to be a typo, it's abviously 2-3 minutes.

Familar things like having to reboot a lot and they make it as easy as possible by keeping the ctrl-alt-del shortcut.
  17. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    if this is true, then wow. if its not (which im sorta going with) then its all M$ hype again. then again it is the year of HD ;)

no company is exempt from hype.

Hibernation is pretty good. i use that on my windows laptop. press the power button... saves its state (which can take a while actually :( ) then press power again and voila! its back up in half the boot up time. and back exactly where i left off! brilliant! sorta wish OSX could do that. i was working on a bucket load of documents in loads of apps at college one day. had to rush home with my PB in sleep mode! which i wasn't too keen on.
  18. yenko macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2005
    I agree. :p
    (start rant: 5-4-3-2-1-go)
    Vista will be more secure because it will NEVER finish booting. This way most people will never notice it and will have "braggin' rights" as to how fast their Vista Boxes boot.

When it finally does will crash and everyone will shrug it off as "normal".
    (end :D :D :D
  19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Although I don't see how this kind of startup speed is possible, I'm pretty sure it isn't a typo. The site compares turning on and off your computer to turning on and off your TV. So unless you have a TV that takes 2-3 minutes to start up... :)
  20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.

Vista takes about a minute and 20 seconds before I'm in the desktop. What a lie on Microsofts part.
  21. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Yeah, but my TV just goes *pzzt* and is off, which I hope my computer won't do :p
  22. RobHague macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Interesting... nice website there btw, not what id expect to see on the MS site. Flip 3D sounds cool, i wish that Alt+tab in OSX would sort of flip the windows to the front of the screen as you press so u can see ^_^

I guess Microsoft are getting a bit worried about OSX's success drawing people away from PC's (and so their software). It looks like an evolution of XP though, not a revolution. :)

Biggest thing is, protecting the Operating System from 1)users! 2)malware/spyware 3)virus's

They should approach it like Apple, make the user put a password in BEFORE any vital system changes can be made - not admin - hard luck. System Restore is also messy - it could do with axing and them trying something else.
  23. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that you now have to enter a password to make any changes on Vista. I saw a screengrab of an entry window a while back.

Apple's gonna have a fight on their hands with this one. Microsoft, hate it we may but they are not stupid - this could be a very good operating system and anyone who says it's going to just plain suck is kidding themselves. Tiger's point releases and eventually Leopard are going to have to be very, very slick and stable - no rushing them out to deal with the new competition, Apple can't avoid any bad press with respect to OS X over the new couple of years.

Vista will be the equivalent of Tiger, better in some ways so Leopard is going to have to be a massive step forward to really take the game to Microsoft.

I for one am very excited, just hope my iBook can run it...
  24. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    I guess you've never tried F10-tab on OS X. ;)
  25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Nice tip. Thanks for that. :)