Vista: Didn't think MS would take it that far.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RobHague, Sep 15, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

With all the shots of the Expose clones and of course 'gagets' I happened to see an article on a major feature of Vista - its built in games ;) and MS have added a few new ones.

Chess anyone?
    [​IMG]

MS are not sure that what makes OSX so good, so they had better add the only game that OSX seems to come with just incase. ;)

Thought it was amusing :D :D

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

God that start bar's ugly!
    Now why does that chess set look so familiar? :rolleyes:

3. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Dang.. I'm glad I'm not going to be supporting windows much longer, vista is ugly... more so than xp. Copying chess won't even save that fact, although I'll give a small pat on the back and "thanks for playing" to microsoft :p

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

dear god, is the taskbar transparent?! never noticed that before...
    *gouges eyes out*

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

taht start bar looks like a rubbish ameture start bar skin from windowblinds!!

the only thing i do happen to like (cant help it, sorry) is the frosted glass effect for the window bars. i dont like the buttons though.

it must take some processing power to render images to frosted glasss at will when you move the window....i heard that this feature requires high end computer power and will not work on low end machines. dont count me on it though.

tastic

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It essentially hasn't changed since Windows 95! I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

7. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Didn't you know? Everything in Vista is transparent so that you can barely see how bad the operating system is.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Making the window controls even smaller? Horrible!
    I think it looks better than default XP ... but still needs work.

I wish Mac OS X would be more consistent, and come up with something better than Aqua and Brushed Metal, though. Then I could really laugh at Vista.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm sure you can adjust the size of them. I almost always make the controls in XP a little bit smaller.

10. wako macrumors 65816

OMFG YOU ARE KIDDING ME! APPLE SHOULD SUE MICROSOFT'S BUTT FOR HAVING CHESS ON THEIR OS! I MEAN APPLE IS THE ONE THAT INVENTED CHESS ON COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!

11. nef919 macrumors member

Will all 7 versions be as ugly? Or will the gaussian blur around the windows obscure the rest of the OS?

12. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

that was too funny. :D

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what the heck is up with that purple to blue to purple fading/shading going on. gross.

so cluttered and unorganized too. sad.

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I think that someone at Microsoft got sick and vomited up that font...

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not as transparent as Microsoft's claim of creating something original.

"Count it!"

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Microsoft, Original?? Have they ever came up with anything they didnt buy?

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think it looks better than the default xp, but I got a feeling this is going to be one seriously bloated OS where a lot of processing power will be wasted for just visual display.

18. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

The first thing that came to mind was the cheesy airbrush art that you can get at the Jersey shore - like on liscense plates and stuff: like Stephanie loves Sean and the sunset in the backround... that hazy, purply fading stuff! :eek:

[​IMG]

19. narco macrumors 65816

narco

You know, I ALMOST like the transparency -- especially how it blurs everything behind it. The rest is total crap, though, but I can totally see current XP users getting excited about it because it is a slight improvement.

Fishes,
    narco.

20. Angelus520 macrumors regular

Kind of off topic, but I remember the first time I used Windows back in 1996 after using Macs for years and I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I was so pissed off because all this extra crap on the desktop that did nothing. Then someone said to click the Start button. I felt stupid. :(

21. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I thought the Windows UI couldn't get worse, but it has. I don't like the XP UI, but this is even worse. I think their saying that you need at least a 3 GHz Pentium 4 to run Vista, which guarantees that there are going to be a lot of people who won't upgrade.

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don't like the task-based approach Microsoft is including everywhere. Menus have worked fine for years. Innovate somewhere else.

23. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Windows Vista to include Chess game

Apparently Microsoft will include a Chess game in Vista. Is this a move to add a little class to their product or is it to further confuse users? Now Windows users are going to be very disoriented without Solitaire. Surely they could have made an updated 3D version.

[Note from moderator: This was the start of another thread, now merged into this one.]

[​IMG]

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Solitaire is the green box barely peeking out from behind the chess window...it's there.