Vista has speech recognition hole

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by flopticalcube, Feb 1, 2007.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6320865.stm

Not a huge deal, but there none the less.

2. monke macrumors 65816

monke

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

More like "not a hole at all." Here's the attack vector:

1) Turn on voice commands (not on by default)
    2) Be at the computer (voice commands deactivate when the screensaver comes on/screen is asleep/computer is asleep)
    3) Have your speakers turned up
    4) Have your mic close enough to your speakers
    5) Turn off Vista's echo-cancellation (on by default)
    6) Issue commands

AKA... not a hole at all. People who think this is a "hole" might have a hole in their head. :rolleyes:

4. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Surely a similar 'exploit' could be performed with Mac speech recognition.

Bloody Microsoft, playing catch-up again...

jx

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Now it is not really an issue considering Vista's speach recognition abilities

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Too true! :p

My Mac & TV even started a conversation a few times, until I figured out what was going on.

(Every now and then I'd hear some noise coming from the Mac, but never managed to catch what it was. But once it happened with the sound turned up - in this case someone from TV said "We don't have the time!" and the Mac replied "It's seven thirty".

Ok..ok.. it's not the most rivetting conversation ever, but...)

7. Gosh macrumors 6502

Call me Mr Cynical!

Mr Cynical from Cynical Towers, Cynicville, Cynicshire but...

it's the one leading edge feature that Vista has - don't you think maybe it's a ploy to draw attention to it? Then they can say fixed it!?!

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Bwaha, that's awesome. :D

9. akadmon macrumors 68010

You're kidding, right? I think speech recognition in OS X is a complete joke. Even a simple request such as "What time ist it?" takes several attempts to be recognized by OS X! And you think that "Open Folder X, move file Y to Trash" would work?

10. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Can we please get off of Voice Recognition in this world. It's not going to work with consmer tech, and there does not seem to be a need for it. Mabye in like 40 years, When I'm talking to my second generation iHOME and telling it to adjust the lights. But for rite now I dont see it as a big deal

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wow, not a visionary eh, buddy? :D

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My sister's blind father-in-law would disagree...Seriously, if we can make it easier for people to interact with a computer or device, then I say lets do it.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I have to say, it is pretty freaky when your home electronics start talking to each other and you're not involved! Try telling THAT to your doctor.

14. jruc4871 macrumors regular

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

As do I. :D

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I guess janitorC7's visionary plan for consumers is "**** the blind." :rolleyes:

However, I agree with the assessment that the overall goal of voice recognition (make it possible to interact with a computer largely via sound instead of visuals) has not been reached yet and still has some significant hurdles to overcome. At the moment, voice interaction is focused on creating a "window" into a primarily visual-driven system. Blind people still have to deal with concepts of windows and pages and dialogues and other systems designed to be primarily visual. I think the real accomplishment will be creating devices that are focused SOLELY on voice as their input, and output information to the user in a fashion that is beneficial for that goal.

It's hard to explain, and obviously this is a layman's view (since I am neither blind nor involved in designing UIs), but I feel like it's at least semi-educated conjecture. Or at least my opinion, which is mine. ;)