Vista Installation Problem and Question (Graphics Card)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

I received one of the beta testing builds for Vista. i installed it on my iMac at home and its works ok except that there are some compatibility problems with some programs. also, i cant use my keypad and the volume control has to be operated with my speakers volume control and not the one the keyboard. things like that dont work but its no big deal.

the problem is that when i tried to install vista on my computer at my office it said that my graphics card wasnt new enough to run vista and so it wont install properly. i am using a dell in my office thats only a few years old and a basic model with 1gb of RAM. does this mean that 3/4 of all windows users are going to have to upgrade their graphics cards just to install vista??!! thats crazy!

2. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

yeah, I understand your pain. I did try to install for parallels. it took more than 3 hours to complete. dang! then it asked password for admin. but during process, it never created admin. I didn't see it. so after trying few times, I deleted piece of shxx. and ran bootcamp. the same thing was happened. I gave up. I want to get my wasted time back! mac os x installation is just taken less than hours. so much about vista. it's not so great. :mad:

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well, it took me less time to install Vista than both Tiger and XP and installation was pretty straightforward.

And about the upgrade thing... I'm not sure, my PC from 2004 is vista premium ready and its components aren't all that great.

4. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

your graphics card has to natively support DX9.
    most cards out since 2003 or so do it so if you card doesn't do it natively but just via software then you may need a newer card.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It doesn't HAVE to, just for Windows Aero which most people (from what I saw in my topic) don't like so... not a big problem I guess.

6. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

it mentioned during the install that i would need a different graphics card in order to run aero. well i continued on with the install anyway and it refused to ever install with or without aero. no operating system should be this hard to install.

my computer was purchased from dell along with about 10 others 2 years ago, if you are going to tell me that i have to buy a newer graphics card for 10 computers
    that are only 2 years old then im going to microsoft to take vista and shove it...