Vista: Is history repeating itself?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sirin, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

Back in 1985, Microsoft was supposed to ship Windows 1.0 over a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRZx24Ffjw

This re-enactment shows you how mad Gates was when he used Windows.

"Ballmer!!! This stuff is crummy!! It's totally crummy!!" - Bill Gates, Mad about Windows

Makes me wonder if the same thing is going on with Vista? :rolleyes:

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, Pirates of Silicon Valley is a great movie.

As for Vista's release being delayed. What is amazing is how much has been removed from the original plan.

Anyhow, it will be out after this holiday season -- at least that is the current plan.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Part of the problem is Microsoft's insistence on backward compatibility, and how huge the Windows code base is already. These two factors alone make improving Windows difficult. I think they are largely to blame for Microsoft's slowness in getting Windows Vista ready.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Not quite, they announced a few weeks ago that consumer Vista will not ship until January.

Although I've got $20 that says it will slip further.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Uhh.....generally the holiday season runs through new years. I guess if you consider the 26th to be the end, then after the season and January could be different. But, I don't think most people do...:p ;)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They should just say that from now on, we don't support hardware and software that was written before WinXP was out. Yes, they would lose out on some customers, but they're losing customers everyday to Apple anyway, may as well just make it easier on themselves and get the product THEY WANT out the door rather than this product with half the features.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Two points:

- They are not loosing all that many customers to Apple...yet.

- Many Windows users -- especially corporate and government -- want to run legacy type programs. These organizations still have/use many vertical applications that they cannot function without. So Microsoft has to provide for their needs.

8. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Uh yeah, my brain decided to not know the definition of 'after' when I first read that. :eek: