Vista (Longhorn) Delayed AGAIN!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Jul 30, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005

2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    correct me if i am wrong but isn't the last quater of 2006 also in the second (last) half of 2006?????

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    well yes, it is, but considering how long-delayed Vista is, "second half" probably leads most people to think July-August, whereas this would be months later, and almost 2007. It's kind of been a running gag that it'll be 2007 before it ships, and this brings the margin of error down to a month or less for that to be true.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I'm actually beginning to feel sorry for MS with this whole Vista debacle.

Who am I's fricken hilarious :p
  5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    I started to shout "NEVER!"

until I read your follow up comment at the bottom :D
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    yeah it is, i think the VP let it "slip" because he wanted to hint to the finanicial analyst and investors etc.
  7. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Don't laugh too hard there were a lot of PC people laughing at us when we were waiting and waiting and waiting for Copeland which in the end never really came instead they scraped it and parted it out for development for OSX.
  8. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

May 31, 2005
    College Station, TX
    You know, I got to see this "innovative" Operating System in action. Or inaction, should I say. Lots of potential, but nothing really worked like it should. I mean, XP has been out for what, 3 years now, and this is what they've been working on in the time since then? Even the beta of XP had working aspects of programs and utilities that made it into the final OS.

Of course, by the time Leopard hits, it might be a moot point, right? ;)
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought it had been 'holiday season' for a few months now. I seem to recall discussion over whether 'holidays' meant November so you could spend Thanksgiving weekend installing it or September when the shopping season starts...

As far as what MS have been doing since they launched XP, didn't they have to pull quite a few programmers off Vistahorn so that they could build SP2 and patch some of those XP holes

Whatever... I don't really care since I don't intend buying it and they won't be installing it in the office until 2008 at the earliest (they're only just rolling out XP!)
  10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man true....and how many people here also complain whenever Apple is a minute late with *anything* .....oh yeah!
  11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    The difference between Copeland and Longhorn is that Longhorn isn't anything revolutionary, just an increment on top of XP. It'd be like if Tiger had taken forever to finish.
  12. OryHara macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2004
    San Bruno, CA
    just dont laugh too hard, we must keep our dignity :p
  13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    It's neither something to feel sorry for them about, nor something that one should find amusing. If anything, you should feel sorry for the world. Microsoft screwed up with Vista, big time. But they are going to spend a fortune marketing it and sell a bajillion copies and probably retain their 90% market share.

Microsoft considers it pretty revolutionary. Vista was the biggest undertaking in the history of software development, and will be the most dramatic change to Windows since Windows 95. That being said, was it worth the time or money they spent on it? Not even close.
  14. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Im mates with these twins; Adam and Paul.

Adam is adventurous. Always doing new things, usually involving pain or not coming home for a day or so. but its always incredibly exciting to do things with him.

Paul says he's going to do stuff. Paul said he was going to get a car 5 years ago and just got one recently, but with no insurance hes off the road and has no plans to get any. he watches TV all day, quite literally. sure he has plans. but never pulls them off.

Spot the comparisons with OS X and Windows :p
  15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

All but the pain part. :confused:
  16. BGil macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2005
    Tiger was more like SP2 and Wave 10 than the jump to Longhorn. Longhorn is a huge jump similar to the OS9 to 10.2 jump Apple made. All the major API's have been replaced, the user space has changed, the kernel is not only updated but almost entirely new in its 64-bit version, the file metaphor has changed, and there are thousands of other features.

I actually think SP2 + Wave 10 was about one and a half times as big an upgrade over pre-SP1 XP than Tiger was over Panther.
  17. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
  18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Vista will be a nice upgrade from those still running Windows 98/2000. Those people aren't going anywhere so Microsoft can just take their sweet time.
  19. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    This leak about Vista's arrival in late Nov./Dec. really shows the difference between how major corporations conduct mass-market PR and how they talk to sophisticated investors.

While it may be the case that when Joe Schmo hears "second half of 2006" he thinks "July" and MS thinks "December," ultimately MS doesn't give a hoot about how Mr. Schmo has spent 4-6 months "waiting." From MS's point of view, he's got the best OS out there and when the next one comes, he can buy it. They're not in the business of meeting the schedule expectations of random people: No harm, no foul.

Institutional investors and fund managers are a totally different story. They have incredibly nuanced pricing models for MS stock that depend on lots of information, not the least of which is this: "When will MS start selling OS's to existing computer owners again rather than just getting royalties from new computers?" To investors, there is a BIG difference between $1 in July and $1 in December (specifically, the interest on that $1).

Hence, if MS knew that their OS has no chance of being out before Thanksgiving and they tell their financial analysts "second half", well, come the earnings conference call in the third quarter of 2006, there would be some tense voices. Followed by some bad news and lower stock prices.

Keeping large institutional investors happy is MS's primary goal (nb -- Apple's too) and you can't do that by letting them think the picture is rosier than it is.
  20. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    I understand where your coming from and Steve did promise that but theres really nothing Apple could do about... afterall they dont make the chips.
  21. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I think you're still reading the press releases from 2003. Whilst Longhorn did promise to deliver every single bit of technology you could imagine, they have systematically been scrapped or delayed. The core of Vista is not going to be dramatically different from it's predecessors.

And how has the user space changed so dramatically? The Start bar is the same as in XP, so are the Explorer windows. You interact with your files the same way. All they've done is added a glass effect.

Oh and Tiger is just as much about Core Image, Core Data, H.264 etc as it is about Dashboard and Automator ;)
  22. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Although supplier problems are mostly the suppliers' responsibility, IMO, Apple cannot be completely absolved of making claims, particularly if they have little control. But welcome to "marketing"...
  23. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    Hey Duff,

i think i saw you on halo xbox live the other night. your pretty good if it was in fact you.
  24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    My pretty good too!

(sorry I couldn't help it! Sorry! SORRY!)

On topic: I think that Vista will be a big deal when it first comes out. There will be commericals with Rolling Stone tunes telling us how much better our lives will be, but I think we're smarter than that now. I think that the hype will fizzle and die. Granted there are still some computer illiterate people who will stick to windows because that's what they know everyone else has, but I see the core users switching to Linix or sticking with XP as long as they can. Ultimitely, I agree with John Dvorak that the time of Microsoft is in decline.

Then again, I could be wrong.
  25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    The last quarter of '06 is pretty close to the first quarter of '07 - which means that if any further delays hit, release will be pushed into 2007. What was that the Buzz Lightyear said in Toy Story? "To infinity and beyond!" He must have been talking about the Vista release date. :D