"Vista most secure OS ever"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by coday182, Jul 28, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I forget where, but I read that windows vista is supposed to be the most secure OS ever. Isn't that kind of naive? lol. Thats what they say about all their new OS systems. True they are for a while but since 90% of the world is using them, there is always somebody who's gonna make viruses for them. Sorry this may be a pointless post but it makes me laugh none the less.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

well, no OS is inpenetrable, but when 90% of the market is using it, it does get some bad attention. Most secure usually means prior exploits are no longer able to be exploited, but as we know security patches are always a must.

Expect a problem free run of 3 months max...:rolleyes:

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That might be Microsoft's thinking - if Vista never ships, there will never be exploits.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Most annoyingly secure OS maybe? I've read some reviews etc. and it sounds like you need to click on an "Accept" button just to move the mouse...

Leopard will probably (hopefully) usurp it's Security crown and do it in a subtle and unobtrusive way.

Can't wait to get a peek at 10.5!!!

9. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

If you use BeOS I can almost garantee that that is the most secure system. Security through obscurity!!!!!

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Windows 1.0 and Windows 2.0 were the most secure because they wouldn't connect to anything. :p

11. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

True... Touche' :)

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apparently my coworker's Windows "powered" "smart"phone is quite slow in responding to its controls. I suggested that it could be worse, it could pop up a dialog requesting confirmation for every keypress, as that would be the typical MS approach.

B

13. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

"Umm I dont think your using that right." -Mac Dude

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Uh, actually...
    I can't say I've ever heard of a virus for a beta release of an OS. There will obviously be exploits, but due to the reduced usage (compared to the final version, or so the marketing and accounting types hope), there wouldn't be any malware to take advantage of them.

15. menziep macrumors 6502a

Touche

16. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Touche

17. Queso macrumors G4

Microsoft are still thought of as evil. They could release a near bullet-proof system and the virus writers would get the better of them. When you consider your target as the Evil Empire, you don't give in easily.

Apple could get 90% of the market and not have the virus problems of Windows. All they need to do is avoid pissing people off on their market share climb.

Of course they would still get attacked, but no way near to the extent that Windows gets.

18. Kaioshin macrumors member

Kaioshin

I specifically recall ...all the Windows installation to date claiming those are the most secure.

But... but Microsoft would never lie like that, right? :rolleyes:

19. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Haha, I think Solaris people are pretty safe as well ;)

Maybe all of the BeOS and Solaris users should get together to contest this claim!

20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think Microsoft's number one priority in Vista was security, and they a fortune and many years developing it; I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's the most secure OS ever. That doesn't, however, mean it will be impenetrable, nor does it mean it won't suck (security is definitely not the only problem in existing versions of Windows).

21. MacSlurp macrumors newbie

I would thoroughly laugh if after its release, it is found to have a huge open back door which the virus writers fing and exploit it. Just when you think you have it all barred up you discover all the small entries you did not think of. Even a tank has too many vulnerabilities. It would go along with all the Microsoft products. Watch for the Blue Screen of Death coming to your PC REAL soon.

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I hear you can now play Solitaire when your computer crashes... unless they took that out too.

23. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

most people write viruses for notoriety and the powerful feeling it gives them, knowing they can play god with computers across the globe.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Or is that just what Microsoft want you to believe? After all, if the virus writers are attacking them because they are Microsoft, everyone else's products are instantly more secure aren't they?

25. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Stop that, you already had your 500 posts.:)

LOL. I hate OS's treating me like an idiot. 'This download may require and application!' naw...really? :eek: I would never had guessed have guessed :rolleyes: . I swear, answering those dialogues drives me mad.