Vista or XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nikolai, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Nikolai macrumors newbie

I'm planning to install windows via Boot Camp on my C2D MacBook Pro, and am trying to decide between Vista and XP. I have free (and legal) access to both (yay MSDNAA). In addition to using Windows for fun & games, I also will run some scientific software on it for work (Felix, MassLynx, SedFit if anyone knows of them.)

Is compatibility potentially an issue for software with Vista? Do you guys have any reccomendations for which OS to load? I know that Vista will be the future, but should it be bothered with now? I'll still have access to both systems later on down the line, so I will be able to change my mind if worse comes to worse...

Thanks!

2. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Go with XP. Less trouble and more compatiblity. Just read a story yesterday ab out Vista causing troubles with gamers.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I agree. Apple is not supporting Vista as well as it is XP at this point in time. I doubt they will until Leopard comes out. If you want to install Vista on a Mac to actually use and not experiment, I'd wait until Boot Camp supports it.

4. MP4-22 macrumors member

I would say XP because Apple doesn't support Vista, and doesn't Vista not support apple software like Quicktime or iTunes?

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not long ago (I guess) you may have said 'XP is trash; avoid it like the plague.'

That said...compared to Vista, XP deserves the 'z' in rulez

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, I used to hate XP and I held onto 2k Pro with a death grip. :D
    I've since decided that XP was pretty good and runs great now. Back in the pre-SP1 days...mmmm not so much. :p

I may switch back to 2000 again soon though...I dunno if it's nostalgia or it just 'feels better' for me to run 2000 or something. Who knows. Hopefully I won't have to bother with it and by the time my Windows decides to chug I'll have hit the "buy" button on the Mac site and had a Mac shipped to my house. :)

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I agree. XP with SP2 is a decent solid platform for Windows apps. I have a mix on my machines at work...some XP, some Vista, and I hate Vista. It's annoying, it's not consistent, those damn "Are you sure?" security popups are coming at me every 30 seconds...it's a giant pain in the ass. There is no reason, NO REASON to use Vista over XP unless you're easily impressed with glassy graphics. Especially as a Mac user, when all I need is to run a few Windows apps, there's no reason to bring on the complications and extra overhead of Vista. It's such a pile of garbage.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

XP is good for a second OS, for a few apps, but when it comes down to using it all the time, it gets bogged down very quickly.

Vista has an advanced fast-forward feature to this bogged down state that can not be turned off as it happens between the time you press power for the first time and when you see the log on screen...

10. Nikolai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be going with XP...

11. 2Shae macrumors 6502

Well today I installed Vista Ultimate(retail) on my new iMac with bootcamp and I have to say that its pretty cool.
    My iMac has a score of 4.8, which is very high so everything runs smoothly for me.

But I would only use Vista if your Mac can run Aero (with all the effects)
    And if you have a lot of spare cash :p

OS X = better than Vista (...and way better than XP)

but Vista = 2 x Windows XP

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

from a gaming perspective, unless you're running DX10, XP is better.

Vista does away with some critical systems required for running some old-ish games (2001-esque). Performance benefit is extremely small if any.

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Interesting. I can get cheap Vista too and have wondered about it but I think I'm going to hold off for a while. XP runs the stuff I need it too on parallels for now so I think I'll leave it alone