Vista Packaging - Your Votes Please ...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by a456, Nov 1, 2006.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

... Second thoughts, don't bother.

Heralded across the net is Vista's innovative packing, for keeping your discs safe (http://windowsvistablog.com/photos/blog_photo_gallery/images/479307/original.aspx). It looks to me like an oversized plastic box circa 1980, the kind that tapes used to come in for the Commodore 64, I wish they'd copied Apple and gone for smaller boxes that are easier to recycle and take up less crate space - it makes financial and environmental sense, surely?

And as for 'style', I don't think it's worth commenting on.

2. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

i kind of like the style, although i doubt many people will buy the box versions but rather pc bundled versions. It does remind me of microsofts software boxes for apple though

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's exactly what I though but less cool (though the MS:Mac boxes are very impractical.)

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Why have such a big box for such a small CD? I commend Apple's iLife, iWork and Mac OS X box designes.

5. Queso macrumors G4

They should get rid of the boxes and stick with the DVD style cases they always put inside. I don't see the point of having all that cardboard packaging around the smaller DVD case when the gap between is completely empty.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. worriedmac macrumors regular

worriedmac

It's not Vista, it's Office! Just thought I would comment as there are so many discussions of how windoze people are ignorant and don't know the difference between the different elements in the mac world.

I pride myself at knowing both worlds but still picking the mac.

8. ljump12 macrumors 6502

The reason its big packaging is becuase it forces more shelf space for it... Which will get people to see it.

Its why all boxes are big.

9. jmarte macrumors newbie

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The box looks great, but eventually you'll have to open it up.

12. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Ya its a shame cracking open such a beautiful box but after its open, the fun begins. Cant wait. Wonder when the release date is now. Feb next year right?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a nice box. I love being able to sit my software boxes on the shelf. The new tough plastic DVD's over the cardboard ones.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Somewhere in the general 2007-08 timeframe.

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

That's a surprisingly very very nice design. Well I guess you deserve nice packaging if you paid $400 for the Ultimate edition. :rolleyes: I think the box /shape/ is kinda ugly in that picture. Does anyone know what the dimensions will be? if it's about the size of a DVD case then that might be OK.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I love the new range of packaging. I guess with all the delays to Vista and wotnot that the design team has had plenty of time to get these right :D

OS's are at the heart of our computing lives. I'm all for a pretty box if it makes the ride feel smoother for just a few more moments.

17. auyongtc macrumors member

18. nplima macrumors 6502a

bzzzt! Wrong! Big boxes are required for big EULA :)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sorta nice, but I'd prefer something plain. regular DVD box would suffice. Ah well.

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Now that they don't provide any documentation in software anymore, I like my software boxes to be no larger than a two disk DVD movie box.

21. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

geez! the wimdows media player 11 ad on that page looks so much like iTunes 7 it's not even funny. then on MS's page, thay have a little picture of that gorillaz album cover that was shown on all those pictures of the iPod. apparently redmond really did start their photocopiers. only a little too well.

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Agree the ultimate is niceeeeee. However, I don't like the green they use for the Home versions... :(

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its hard to tell from the pictures just how big they are, they very well could be DVD case sized in terms of height, with a bit more width to them, and in that case they are cool by me, but i somehow doubt it.