Vista: Problem Using a Dual Monitor Setup (iMac)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rumbletum, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rumbletum macrumors regular

Thanks to the new Apple drivers I finally have Vista set up how I want it under Bootcamp on my iMac apart from one irritating problem.

I use a Dell monitor attached to my iMac, and I want the system set so the Dell is my primary monitor, and the iMac is my secondary display. I can see how to do it by going into Control Panel/Personalisation/Display Settings but the option 'This is My Main Monitor' is greyed out and it doesn't allow me to change it.

I'm 95% sure when I first installed Vista it did allow me to change this.

Any suggestions please?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

Does it work if you first check the option "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" (and click Apply)?

3. rumbletum thread starter macrumors regular

No, the option still remains greyed out.

Just to clarify, my display is extended across the two monitors, its just I cant make the Dell my primary one in the settings - which means some programs (ie games) default straight to my iMac display

4. delay macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with a macbook pro, I found this post on another board and it worked for me. "try making your external monitor your *only* display, then switching on the dual monitor extended monitor display; sometimes that will flop the primary monitor setting somehow. Then try checking the "extend the desktop..." on the laptop display.

5. rumbletum thread starter macrumors regular

6. abbottpc.com macrumors member

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Has anyone fiqured out a way to make an external Monitor the default on an iMac in Vista?

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Did you just drag the monitor you want as your primary to the left?

So if you have the symbols for Monitor 1 (iMac) and Monitor 2 (Dell), just drag 2 to the left of 1 in Display settings under Windows.