Vista Product Key

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nicoritschel, Aug 9, 2006.

1. nicoritschel macrumors regular

Hey there. I downloaded the Vista Beta 2 a while ago, and never installed it. I'm trying to install it right now but I have no idea what my product key is. Does anyone either know how to retrieve this information or would someone let me use their product key (they're good for 10 activations)? Thanks

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You can go see if there is a product key on their website, see if you can get to the DL page again.

3. gothicx00 macrumors member

I'm not a mod or anything, but the talk of product keys, weither they be for beta software or not, is usually frowned upon on forums such as these. But i'm sure if you do some research though there are official channels to which one can obtain said key.

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

The product key for Vista beta 2 was publicly distributed. When you signed in for a download, MS gave you a key (valid for a single year). I think the original poster is referring to this key, not an illegal one, just a temporary key

5. nicoritschel thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I was given the key when I downloaded it, but I guess I just didn't bother saving it/writing it down.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I looked through Microsofts site (very confusing btw) and they no longer have any of the beta pages open or avail. They claim they've reached their maximum.

Sorry, but unless you contact Microsoft ($78 a min.) and ask them, you're SOL.

7. gothicx00 macrumors member

I realize this, but I was still stating it so that somebody had stated it. Rule #3 of things not to do on the MacRumors forums is as follows:

Weither or not a key is for beta software is not at question. To me the part about "breaking software licensing methods" still would stand. If you didn't get one to begin with you are SOL and asking for one on the forums is still, albeit good natured, against the rules. If one were to bend the rules in this case, it techinically undermines the integrity of the rule it self.

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You've been here for 3 days, what do you know about this sites rules? :confused:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The original poster *did* get one but has lost it. I don't have a problem with this.

To the OP: I'm pretty sure a copy of the key would've been emailed to you. Take a look through your email and see whether you can find one :)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Obviously quite a bit more than some (including me until I was forced to read them). He knew where to go, what to quote, and even prefaced it with "i'm not a mod." Give the kid a break, he was only trying to help. You've been here for a very long time, it should be a breath of fresh air to see an intelligent response such as his instead of the typical flame fest that occurs when someone asks for a key--legit or not.

To the OP, sorry for crapping on your thread. ;)