Vista Rc1 on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Eodchop, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Eodchop macrumors newbie

Eodchop

Help! I have tried everything. Bootcamp.
    :(
    I tried formatting an entire hard drive as ntfs. i keep getting a message saying to make sure the disks controller is enabled to allow booting. Does anyone know where i do this at. I hear that vista supports booting via efi. I have also tried booting with my OS HD pulled out and just keeping the NTFS SATAII drive in.

Thanks in advance:(

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

with rc1, you don't have to do anything "destructive", you install it like you were installing xp.

3. omfgninja macrumors member

I heard (cant confirm nor deny) but the only way right now, is to upgrade to vista from a working copy of XP

4. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

No. Not really. I popped in my RC1 DVD and opened up bootcamp, selected Install Windows now and it deleted by copy of XP I already had and did a clean install.

However, this was on a MacBook.

5. ug.mac macrumors member

ug.mac

Guess what? We are talking about install Vista RC1 on Mac Pro now, not MacBook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac MINI but MAC PRO.

6. Andrew Locke macrumors newbie

7. Eodchop thread starter macrumors newbie

Eodchop

Vista RC1 on my mac pro

I followed the above steps and everything worked except the display driver. I have tried downloading the nvidia driver. Nothing works. I have went into the device manager and tried updating that way. Does anyone have any ideas at all?

8. rosscarlson macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem on my MacPro - any ideas anyone?

Ross

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Did you download the RC1 drivers from the ATI and Nvidia Sites and try those?

ATI Vista Driver

Nvidia Vista Driver

I have not tried any of these on my mac pro, I haven't bothered intalling RC1, it's a pain. Those drivers should work though, let us know how it turns out.

10. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

some guy in the forum found out the solution

apprently you need to have 2gb of ram inorder to get it working

i think it needs the 2 memory riser taken up inorder for it to work?

11. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I installed Vista RC1 on my Mac Pro (4x512MB RAM) in Boot Camp without any major incident. I had XP installed in a partition of my main drive, and used the Vista install disc to erase that partition and do a fresh install of Vista. BTW, waaay too much eye candy for me. Also installed in in Parallels where none of the eye candy installed. Overall, I got a very basic installation in Parallels - it must have sensed much less power during that installation.

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

If that is the case, then that is why it won't work on my machine, I only have 1gig of ram using 1 riser card. I wonder why that would cause it not to install?

Oh well, I have vista installed my PC, and I don't really care for it.

13. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I think he's saying you need RAM on both both riser cards for it to work :confused:.