Vista RC2 64-bit edition on Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ZildjianKX, Oct 26, 2006.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Okay, I'm planning on trying out the 64-bit edition of Vista RC2 when my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro arrives on Monday. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with since I'm sure someone has tried the same thing on a Core 2 Duo iMac.

Here are my questions (a lot of them are Boot Camp based).

1. Does Bootcamp create an EFI partition for legacy BIOS operating systems like XP, or does it already exist?
    2. Is it true that Vista RC2 supports EFI, so the EFI partition isn't required?
    3. If Bootcamp does create an EFI partition and Vista supports EFI natively and doesn't need the partition, how can I create an NTFS partition for Vista RC2 without creating an EFI partition?
    4. How bad is 64-bit driver support on the Core 2 Duo iMac?

Thanks!

2. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Just quickly (and apologies for hijacking the thread) but your avatar is freakin' sweet!

F

3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ha thanks :) I've been using it for 8 years and you're the first person to comment on it :)

4. MattyP macrumors member

MattyP

Maybe but we were all thinking it.

Apparently Vista 64 is the only version with full EFI support. As for Boot Camp, check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=242071

It looks like somone installed Vista64 on a C2D imac without using Boot Camp... That is if I'm reading it right.

5. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I think they were saying they didn't use the Boot Camp driver disk, I don't know if they used it for partitioning or not.

Anyone know about the EFI partition? Or if Boot Camp also creates a boot loader?

6. ieko macrumors member

Vista 64-bit has EFI support. I hope to be getting my MBP tomorrow so I will definitly give this a try if I get the chance. Is it just me or has RC2 been taken down from the MS site? RC1 is all I see now.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But not the first to appreciate it :)

8. chadstone30 macrumors newbie

don't bother

I got my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro yesterday. I installed Vista RC2 on it today. The drivers for the MacBook Pro supplied by Boot Camp 1.1.2 don't work at all. The keyboard eject button doesn't work, I have no idea how to right click (I can, however, use an external mouse and keyboard), brightness control is impossible, the sound doesn't work, and on and on. The ethernet port works right off the bat, however the wireless card doesn't even show up in the Add New Hardware wizard. If anybody else gets these things to work (keyboard and wireless are my top priority) give me a shout. chad

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Run Windows Update to get the right wireless driver using Ethernet. At least it worked on my CD MBP. I know the card has changed but it might work for the C2D.

10. chadstone30 macrumors newbie

Windows Update installed some garbage Windows component but didn't pick up the wireless card.

11. lacoln macrumors newbie

Hi Chad, for Wireless you can use this driver: http://www.atheros.cz/getfile.php , but driver for the keyboard, thats the problem...