Vista RC2 on my macbook?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by psychofreak, Oct 8, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have never used bootcamp, and have just downloaded Vista RC2 on my macbook. I have not yet burned the DVD, as I am not sure if i have to do anything else. Do I just download bootcamp, burn the iso onto a DVD and run bootcamp, or do I have to download drivers ect...

2. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Also, do I use FAT32 or the other one (can't remember the name)

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

NTFS, though it is a better file system, cannot be written to by Mac OS X, so if you can, use FAT32 because you can modify files from within Mac OS X.

4. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thanks, and what about drivers, do I need to do anything about them?

5. terrymr macrumors member

The basics seem to work out of the box, network (wired and wireless) and display. The XP drivers disk burned by boot camp doesn't install properly but creates a directory for mac drivers in c:\program files\ you can find the sound driver in there. I can't find an iSight driver yet.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If I remember right, you can only use NTFS with Vista.

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yup.

Also, whats the difference between Vista RC1 and RC2 (apart from that RC2 is one better than RC1 :p)?

8. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Also, whats the difference between Vista RC1 and RC2 (apart from that RC2 is one better than RC1 :p)?[/QUOTE]

RC2 is supposed to be a little faster and includes "thousands" of bug fixes over RC1 from what I've read online. Also fixes some driver issues (not that I've seen, but..) :)

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Got this error as well but formatted the partition and restarted and it seems to be installing now. Fingers crossed

10. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

A couple of questions:

How much space do I need, because I have heard 15GB and 32GB (which I don't have) , I don't own an XP disk, so its a plain vista install.

Do I need to do anything special? I heard that you need to delete a 200MB partition (how?)

Do I burn the ISO file onto a DVD, or do I burn the extracted ISO file?

and how do I choose FAT32?, do I use bootcamp or disk utility?

Thanks in advance:)

11. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    the Vista install takes about 3.5 - 4 GB as far as I remember (deleted my virtual machine a while ago)

12. drval macrumors member

FAT32 also restricts the HD size to 32 GB so, if you need more space than that for your Windows workspace, you need to use NTFS. I have a 70 GB NTFS file for my Windows workspace but, then again, I rarely use the Mac side so... ;-)

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is purely a side note. The 32 GB limit on FAT32 is an artificial limitation in XP, and does not represent what the file system is capable of. I for one have an external 300 GB FAT32 drive that works fine under OS X and XP.

Thus, the statement should be: Windows won't create FAT32 partitions larger than 32 GB, even though larger ones formatted using other tools are supported.

B

14. drval macrumors member

I understand what you're saying here but, I really prefer to stick to what I not only KNOW will work, but also what would be supported by Microsoft if your sxxx fit the fan. I'm sure that one could even do some nice unix-based kludges to get around various "limits" but then, as the Ghostbusters movie put it: "Who you gonna call?" when something goes wrong?

But to some degree it's preference. My preference is to have clear lines of accountability and a clear sense of where I can go to get what I need if and when things go funky. Mission critical being the key idea there.

But others have different comfort zones and that's fine too.

15. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Is it true that Vista RC2 supports EFI? Hence the EFI partition that boot camp makes isn't necessary for RC2?

How can you create an NTFS partition in OS X without formatting the whole drive without using bootcamp?

Basically I want to install the 64-bit edition of Vista RC2 on my 64-bit Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro without creating an EFI partition.

16. Carguy172 macrumors member

Vista uses 15 gb its quite alot and it does require NTFS Which is good because its a better file system.