Vista review

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superted666, Jul 8, 2006.

1. superted666 Guest

superted666

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Also in the article:

"For PC users that has all changed, the world is full colour and funky is now the watch word.

Of course if you are a Mac user you are obviously sitting there smug in the knowledge that you have been funky for ages[.]"

:)

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    To be fair, this article is saying that Vista looks good if you have a graphics card and does mention that Mac users have had a funky looking OS for years.

It's more about the graphics card (in a dumbed down way) than about Vista.

Having not really paid much attention to the system requirements before, I was surprised to see that to run Aero, you need 15GB free on a HD?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

Hehehehe, somehow that sounds like when middle-aged people who aren't really into pop culture try to be "down." :rolleyes:

Yes, "funky" is how I describe my operating system and my fashion sense. I like to be "hip" too. And sometimes I "jive."

:eek: :D

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

So M$ are driving customers away from Windows because they are going to pay a shed load to be able to use it :confused:

They seriously dont have a clue and I personally think its gonna go tits up in a big way for Vista. Which is nice :D

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Those are the bare minimum requirements I believe. If you want vista to preform fairly good I think the requirements are about 2x more.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

"Excuse me, I speak jive."

10. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I LOVE that movie! your post made me laugh out loud :D

Attendant: Can I get you something?
    Jiveman #2: S'mo fo butter layin' to the bone. Jackin' me up. Tightly.
    Attendant: I'm sorry I don't understand.
    Jiveman #1: Cutty say he cant hang.
    Woman : Oh stewardess, I speak jive.
    Attendant: Ohhhh, good.
    Woman : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
    Attendant: Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine.
    Woman : Jus' hang loose blooood. She goonna catch up on the`rebound a de medcide.
    Jiveman #2: What it is big mamma, my mamma didn't raise no dummy, I dug her rap.
    Woman : Cut me som' slac' jak! Chump don wan no help, chump don git no help. Jive ass dude don got no brains anyhow.

Audio: http://larry.teamoverkill.com/jive/illness.wav

AUDIO 2: http://larry.teamoverkill.com/jive/dinner.wav

Audio 3: http://larry.teamoverkill.com/jive/opening.wav

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

vista beta 2, office 2007 beta, nvidia drivers, updates installed -- taking up just over 14gb.

installed on a p4@3.4ghz, 1gb corsair ddr, 200gb sata, nvidia geforce 6800gt 256mb agp card, and it is actually acting a bit slow. cursor hick-ups, windows don't snap open, if anything is running in the background (defrag, update, etc) everything comes to a standstill for several seconds. even trying to just open 'my computer' takes the better part of 4-5 seconds to display. thought they would have tweaked and tuned this a bit more by now. several beta's ago, the performace was much better. i'm sure some of this is still beta/drivers, but this is not a slow machine, and the performace is less than a dell/celeron/POS with xp home at this point. :(

looks nice. glad to see they have updated the overall look, but a lot of the glass effects i really don't like much. the see-thru window frames are really annoying. i don't want to see my desktop, i want to see the window. the 3d window wheel of death is just silly, and all the helpful wizards and new task grouping stuff means 4-5 clicks to get to the same level as 2-3 clicks in xp. and if i have to click one more permission box, someone is going to get hurt. the new security model reminds me of the army guys scene in the original blues brothers movie, with lots of guys running around yelling 'hut-hut-hut' but not much actually getting done. HALT/STOP, do you actually want to install the backdoor-trojan 'eazy shopp3r', like sure, whatever, just show me my kewl new screen sav3r silly box. click. die. reload. again.

lots of work left to do from now until the 2007 (8) (?) release date.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you see a broad with booty action, lay her down and schmack-her-yack-her, you know what I'm sayin'? :D

13. scan300 macrumors 6502

Yeah, but what about a "funky" smell. That don't smell so good.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ya, whatever. :rolleyes:

This guy has evidently never seen what Mac OS can do. :)

Yep, I am smug to be funky.... :rolleyes: :D

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

Vista probably has funk all over it, but I don't want to get any on me.

Really, I'm sure Aero Glass (or whatever) is quite pretty, but I think it may cross the line between "cool" and "making actual work harder". The MacOS is already dangerously close to that line with its eye candy, and with that much more in Vista I have a feeling it's going to go from initial novelty to more and more annoying the more you use it. But who knows, maybe it's really cool on an ongoing basis.

Reminds me of the best XP comment I ever read: "Instead of getting used to the OS, the longer I use XP, the more I hate it." Summed up my feeling exactly, and I have a nasty feeling Vista will be the same.

What really scares me are comments like the one here that the wizzards and all actually ADD clicks to get stuff done over XP--XP is already a hell of unnecessary wizzards and counterproductive handholding, so if Vista is worse, it's going to be a real bear to get anything serious done in from a techie standpoint.

-----

Wildly off-topic, sorry, but all the funk-talk has driven me to mention my favorite funk quote:

At the recycling center, a young couple was putting their stuff into the appropriate bins. The girl asked the guy if she should keep the box. The guy answered "No, it's got funk in it."

To which my brother and I exchanged looks and commented "That poor guy has funk in his box."

Interpret the specific meaning of "funk" in this context any way you like--they're all funny.

16. Subiklim macrumors 6502

LOL, what ignorance....

You do realize that if Microsoft goes 'tits up' apple won't have any competition, and therefore will be less inclined to update their OS as frequently?

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

HAHA! That's funny! I just watched airplane few nights ago! :p

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you mean that, if Microsoft goes tits up, that all those Linux distros would go poof right along with it?

What ignorance indeed!

19. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks MisterMe.

Subiklim I mean they will drive more and more people to Apple (and other OS') effectively shooting themselves in the foot. Im all for new technology, which of course will require greater CPU/GPU power etc but in my view the leap, financiallly and in GPU performance, M$ are expecting its customers to make is too large. Most businesses run bottom end machines to email and wordprocess and they cannot run Vista purely because its GUI is too processor intensive.