Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which version?

• Vista Business x86

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vista Business x64

• Vista Enterprise x86 w/ SP1

• Total voters

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hi there. I'm in the second half of my first year in Uni. Now, I need to install Windows Vista, and the school has said specifically that they need us to install Vista (oh the irony, when the rest of the world is forgoing Vista for XP...) Now, however, I am given choice, and I am given the following options (the school will provide licenses and the software):

-Windows Vista Business
-Windows Vista Business w/ SP1 integrated
-Windows Vista Business x64
-Windows Vista Business x64 w/SP1 integrated
-Windows Vista Enterprise x86 w/ SP1 integrated.

I'm really confused now:confused:

Shouldn't 64-bit be better? and shouldn't I naturally go for SP1?:confused:

What are your thoughts on which runs better?

Oh, and please post reasons why too, as opposed to just voting :D

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hmmm... I was under the opinion that Windows 64-bit were all kind of "failure" products? And they didn't really work in the market?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Hmmm... I was under the opinion that Windows 64-bit were all kind of "failure" products? And they didn't really work in the market?

That couldn't be more incorrect, not sure where you got that from. x64 works fine and is a better choice if you have 4gb of ram or more. I'm not sure why you put so many things up there. You seem to have 3 options: business x64, business x86, or enterprise x86. I would decide between the two versions of business unless you have some reason that you need to run the enterprise version.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

Only XP 64-bit was a "failure" Windows 64-bit OS. Not because the OS is bad (it's Windows Server 2003, with everything that would make it a server OS cut out), but because at its release, not many people had any reason to get it, and for that reason, driver support was not there from the hardware manufacturers.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Only XP 64-bit was a "failure" Windows 64-bit OS. Not because the OS is bad (it's Windows Server 2003, with everything that would make it a server OS cut out), but because at its release, not many people had any reason to get it, and for that reason, driver support was not there from the hardware manufacturers.

Ah. Now I comprende.

So I should naturally go for SP1, instead of going SP0? Or is there some reason that SP0 is in fact BETTER than SP1? And between Vista 64 and Vista 86, Business, which do you guys think I should do?

Hi there!

You should definitely go for SP1 because it is naturally faster, more secure (as it has all of the security updates for SP0) and is much more stable (I speak from experience). Now as for 64 bit or 32 bit it seems that you have 6GB's of RAM in your system so in that case you need to go 64 bit because in Windows if you get 32 bit the system can only recognize and use 3 GB's of RAM. Now unless you have a special reason to go for Enterprise I highly recommend the Business Edition of Windows Vista. Also how is 6 GB of RAM in the Unibody MacBook Pro? Is it stable?

Hope this helps,
King Mook Mook

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Well I haven't noticed any differences in performance yet, but it's not unstable.

About 64bit vs 32bit, let's say I only need/have about 2GB RAM. Then which would you recommend for me?

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I see.. Are there any incompatibilities with software though? And I'm thinking if I have Windows on, I might as well use it for gaming sometimes. Does Vista x64 have known incompatibilities with softwares or games?

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
That couldn't be more incorrect, not sure where you got that from. x64 works fine and is a better choice if you have 4gb of ram or more. I'm not sure why you put so many things up there. You seem to have 3 options: business x64, business x86, or enterprise x86. I would decide between the two versions of business unless you have some reason that you need to run the enterprise version.

x86?? You mean either x64 or x32, x86 just means intel processors.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Well I haven't noticed any differences in performance yet, but it's not unstable.

About 64bit vs 32bit, let's say I only need/have about 2GB RAM. Then which would you recommend for me?

Vista 64 ftw. And you're asking us whether you should get non-SP1 or with SP1?? Are you crazy? Vista was a joke prior to SP1, not to mention I don't even think you can buy a Vista DVD nowadays that doesn't have SP1. But yeah, again, Vista 64 felt like night and day on my machine. If you can, just get 4 GB of RAM. It costs like, what, maybe $40?

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
ok... does x64 have any incompatibilites, or does WOW64 COMPLETELY cover you from incompatibilities? I'm mainly talking about apps and games here.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
ok... does x64 have any incompatibilites, or does WOW64 COMPLETELY cover you from incompatibilities? I'm mainly talking about apps and games here.

Yeah, WOW64 covers you. I've only heard there's a few random apps that don't work (nothing major) but I've never encountered anything that doesn't work flawlessly, nor have any family or friends had any problems like that. I even tired Oregon Trail on it once and it worked. :p

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

Yes there are incompatibilities.

Old 16-bit applications don't work, so if you need to use something from 1993, you're probably SOL.

If you have a question about incompatabilities, go to the wall of light and search for incompatibilities. You know what programs you're going to use and need. I'm sure a simple search can yield results.

For the most part, you should be good though, but nobody can be 100% sure without knowing what programs you're going to use...

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Oh my. Red Alert 3 doesn't play nice with 64-bit. Guess it'll be Business x86 then... Besides additional RAM addressing, will the 64-bit actually benefit me any?:confused:

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
if you have less than 4gb of ram don't go with 64bit it can make those slower especially when running memory intensive apps. If you need to play really old games I would just virtualize them, and if you don't want to shell out the cash for vmware try virtualbox (free and oss)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.