Vista x7 versions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RobHague, Sep 10, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen this? Windows Vista is going to have seven versions. :eek: :eek:

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition - Like that ;) reminds me of that Flash animation going around the web at one point, Windows Really Good Edtion :D

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Oh that's really smart M$, confuse your consumers even more than they are now. Really smart.

Another reason to use OS X: With the exception of the server version, OS X is pretty much one-size-fits-all.

3. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I hate company products like this. In the end you'll end up buying one, it works for you for a month or so, then you try something new that you'd really like to do with your computer and find out it's not supported.
    How can M$ marketing department support this. As iindigo said it's just going to confuse people even more.
    Heads up their a**es

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

wow, how pathetic. its like how they released that "XP for 3rd world countries" which was a severly cut down, but cheap !$@£%! (see how excited i am!?) version of windows XP which had almost no software included and could only have 3 windows open at any one point. y'know, its the THIRD WORLD. why would they want to use Windows? wouldn't they be more interested in such minor things as living? -_- stupid M$

so. 7 versions. smashing. not to forget the extra 7 versions without Media Player that we'll see a year or 2 down the line.

im at the point now where i cannot see why anybody would support M$, in ANY of their products. barring maybe their mice.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hmm... "Windows Exploited Edition"? "Windows Go-Buy-Another-Computer Edition"?

6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I wonder what the price range is going to be. Probably for a lot of users the high-end "ultimate" editions will be out of the question because they will be $$$$ (knowing MS).

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

The need to make different editions of Vista to make it easier to use for Home users shows an inherent design flaw in the OS.

The existence of different versions in an OS is indicative of MS' desire to make people pay for each feature they use. I think this might be a step toward "renting" your OS.

This kind of crap from Microsoft makes me sick to my stomach.

8. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

LOL :) It is going to easier for consumers to pick other OS/platform than to pick which version of Vista to buy. :D

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Heh, love that Starter Edition too.

They don't seriously believe that anyone will use them? It will be replaced by a cracked, non-crippled, Vista edition as soon as is technically/humanly possible.

I do wonder if they've made Vista modular enough to actually *remove* all that functionality, or if all this can be overcome by a single Registry edit.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Regedit = the Winblowz MasterSword (play more LoZ if you don't know what I'm on about). I can't see many people opting for Starter Edition, either.

Btw, what's with the hats on avatars?

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

See this thread.

12. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Attached Files:

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Doubt it. They'll just continue their "automatically-reboot-before-user-see-bsod" scheme. Increased stability isn't the only reason why people see less BSOD's in XP ;)

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wonder how many of the features are going to time out and give you the standard "free trial period for this feature is over, please call to upgrade your OS" and/or "sorry, please upgrade to xxx to run this file" :rolleyes:

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Vista-- 31 flavors, none of them tastsy

Linkety

7 kinds... oh dear...

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Might I point out there are 14 versions? 32 and 64 bit variants of EACH. :eek:

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, I guess that will depend on whether Quicktime comes pre-installed on those Vista machines! ;) :eek: :D

Seriously, I think that MS is treading a dangerous line with users actually buying new computers and not getting functionality because they don't have the right variant of Vista (or XP for that matter). Although, with all the DVR kind of Media Center features, it isn't quite true at present that they are considered part of a core OS by most users.

But I still think it would be better for MS if they could structure it so that users could purchase an upgrade from one version of Vista to another online, and download and install the additional components without re-installing the OS from scratch, than to have users sort of stuck with the OS variant they get.

18. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, the back of software box's is going to get a bit more crowded...

I'm sure there are going to be some really fun conversations in stores on its release too!

19. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

With all the smart people at M$, I can't comprehend how they could do something this stupid. Granted, I have no knowledge of what the real business world is like as I am a college student, but still. Do they sit down and think, "How can we make this as confusing and difficult as possible for consumers?"

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hah, well anyone who uses the expression, "my good man," should be able to communicate any additional necessary information to the salesperson through the slight tipping of his bowler, a piercing glance, and perhaps a nudge and a wink if really necessary, although those are rightly considered pedestrian and vulgar gestures. :D

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

All this confusion just makes me want to go back to DOS with DoubleSpace.

22. Tahko macrumors regular

God, microsoft is stupid with their windows "solution"!

It's the developing that takes money, not pressing the dvd's vista comes on. so, now they have wasted money to develop 7 different kinds of vista, while they could have gone all the way with ultimate! what's the damn point in crippling their os that has been developed for so long? I fail to see the logic.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Meh, who needs more than 640k of RAM anyway?

24. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I can't wait to see how many people purchase a lower edition, try to do something unsupported, and then claim they have a "virus" and that their computer is "broken".