Visting on a MAC! Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    Is it possible to view the video content of on a Mac? It refuses to play on my Macbook in Firefox and I want to know if it is possible for it to work? Please help, thanks.
  2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    That website uses Windows Media Player to work.

WMP isn't Universal (and never will be).

However, a Universal Binary of Flip4Mac, a popular WMV plugin for Quicktime, is being worked on. It'll probably come out within the next month (by my estimate). Until then, you can't watch them, sorry.

However, if you install the PPC version of WMP, you can go to that website, and when you try to play a movie it will ask you to download it. If you download it you can play it on the PPC version of WMP through Rosetta, though that wouldn't work too well.

Edit: Actually, Popwire is a Universal Binary now. It's a codec for Quicktime that plays all .wmv (Windows Media Player) files, even those that require Windows Media Player 9. You can download it here. You have to pay for it though; the unlicensed version only supports files up to 20 seconds long. So, er, if you really want to be able to play .wmv files, this is your option right now.
  3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    However, Popwire does not work for web embedded content.

Try to track down the universal binary version of the Flip4Mac plugin.
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Popwire is however free for playback. The $50 is only necessary if you want to encode WMV files.
  5. TAV macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    Just go to the Apple discussions and search under my user name. I posted the beta version of the universal F4M components there in a link. It will play both local and web files native via Quicktime. I'd post it for you here - but as usual, the discussion board is down.