Visual Basic, SQL server, Guitar pro. Windows apps. Will they work on iBook.Urgent Pl

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

hi. Urgent help required. I n selling off my ibook G4 12" on bay. My only Mac. Will never get a mac again. The winning bidder has asked these question.

Q. can I load SQL Server onto this Mac and run VB on it? our school software is being developed on that.
    Q. Can you tell me more about file sharing with Windows based machines? I use music publishing softwares on School computer such as Sibelius, Finale + midi software like Guitar pro 5. will I be able to load all this on Mac?

I dont have knowledge bout any of these. Never used it on windows either. So please share your knowledge as soon as possible.

AND I was kidding. I m selling the iBook only to buy a MacBook or if some how budget allows then mac pro.

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

As far as Windows goes the only way to install and run Windows on a PPC Mac is using some emulation software. Virtual PC will do the job and I think Q.app should work too.

It'll be quite slow though.

3. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

No I mean aint there any mac softwares which does the same jobs. Also will they syncronize with a windows pc

4. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Since Guitar Pro 5 has a Mac version (from May 2006), then maybe, Finale also appears to have a Mac Version and work OK (version 2006), Sibilus also has a Mac version, SQL will certainly work with some unix tool or other, whether Visual Basic will run is another question. (he probably needs a Windows emulator)

I know you want to sell your laptop, but TBH If he wants to run this software he has three choices
    a) buy a windows PC

b) email all these companies and ask if their Mac/Windows versions are compatable if its not obvious.

c)Buy a MacBook because he can then boot windows.

File sharing will work fine with a Mac and a PC.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The buyer seems to be asking if he can use those Windows applications directly on the Mac. The answer to that would be no. With Virtual PC, some may run, but speed and issues with drivers will be significant problems to overcome.

When it comes to file sharing (as opposed to application sharing) yes, he will be able to move files onto the Mac. Whether he can use them will depend if he has installed Mac versions of programs that will handle those file types.

7. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

That`s what i m asking. Are there any software available in OSX for these activities. Which ones. Freeware will be great or else shareware will be ok too. Your advice will be greatly appreciated

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Eraserhead already answered. Sibelius and Finale have Mac OSX versions
    Visual Basic and SQL Server do not. Emulation under Virtual PC is the only hope there. MySQL, PosrgreSQL and RealBasic are available for Mac but they are not identical to MS SQL Server and VB, and are no code-compatible.

These are complex commercial programs and there are no free or shareware equivalents at this level.

9. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Thanx a lot for all your help. I think he`ll be satisfied with this. And i assume that VB and SQL will run OK with VPC. I mean there wont be much slowdown coz of emulation.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

SQL Server and VB are windows only. (although, realbasic and mysql/postgresql/etc. are available), so instead of the macbook (unless you NEED only one machine), get the iBook+cheap PC running XP because emulating visual studio in VPC is a pain in the ***********.
    Sibelius and Finale are both available for Macs (pretty nice too), but they're not universal binaries yet...although both have promised that the next major versions will be.
    File sharing (in the networking sense, and not in the p2p sense) isn't generally a problem, there's also a guide on this, just don't remember where it is. It mounts the networked drive just like any other drive, and none of the OS X applications should have issues with it.
    File sharing in the p2p sense is a bit different, but again, won't usually be a problem.

(Crap just read the last post, ignore me lol)