Visual Boy Emulator for OSX - FUn!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheGimp, Nov 30, 2004.

1. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Anyone complaining about mac gaming should check this out. I had never so much as glanced at a gameboy, but have recently been indulging in Castlevania, Super Mario world, Metroid, and a host of others on what I believe can be called the best emulator to appear in a long time. I run it on a dual G5 1.8 with crummy NVIDIA 5200. Once you fiddle with some of the settings, it's possible to get glitch-free versions of 100+ games running smoothly in a small-midsize windows (or largescreen if you don't mind pixellation). You must own the original games in order for this to be legal, however... (rummage through your siblings' rooms of you have access to them).

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    i play nintendo, SNES, and N64 games at 1280x1024 on my PC...the N64 games actually run at that resolution.

my SNES emulator can run fancy OpenGL filters on the low-res images and turn them into something that almost looks like full resolution. hard to explain it if you've never seen it.

But yeah. A little usb controller and a couple of ROM downloads later, I've got every worthwhile Mario game (and a couple unworthy ones) running 57.9 fps at 12x10.

which can breathe new life into some SMW, let me tell ya!

Where's a link to the emulator you're talking about for OS X, though. I want to try it out and see how it does.

(by the way, what graphics card you have doesn't even come into play with emulators, becuase they don't use the 3D accelleration at's all processor-driven.)

I bet the N64 emulations, if coded specifically for Athlon 64 or G5, would be pretty capable...since the N64 was 64-bit, and all. ;)
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Most emulators ever released for the Mac can be found at :) (although it hasn't been updated in almost a year).

If only Sixtyforce could be improved a bit more - Conker's BFD doesn't run yet :(
  4. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY