VisualHub DVD Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Socalrunner951, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Socalrunner951 macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    I'm using MacTheRipper to rip all of my DVDs (that I own of course) and each movie ripped runs about 5-8 gb. I'm using VisualHub to convert all of my DVDs to a .mp4 file and the quality is excellent. The only problem I'm having is when I watch them on my 42" LCD the movie kind of lags (I hook up my mac pro to my TV with a DVI to HDMI cable). What would be the best DVD settings for making a .mp4 file? VisualHub is compressing them to 1-2 gb files which seem pretty small for a full length DVD. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Have you tried the AppleTV setting on the latest version of VisualHub?

Also, I think that HandBrake will rip your DVD and compress it down for you (instead of going thru the two programs you're using). Not sure if the final outcome would be any different than what you're doing now.

If you're bored waiting for replies, searching this site for some of Multimedia's posts about HandBrake. He seems to have those settings down to a perfect science.
  3. Socalrunner951 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007

Yes, I have tried the Apple TV settings (those are the ones I was testing it with) and it looks fine on my computer but once I hook it up to my TV it is a little laggy.
  4. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    Is it just the ripped movies that lag? Have you tried playing other H.264 MP4 files? What player are you using?
  5. Socalrunner951 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2007
    Normal DVDs that I put in play fine. All the DVDs that I have converted lag. It isn't really lagging that bad but you can notice that it is lagging a little. The converted movies play perfect on my 20" monitor. I'm hooking up my Mac Pro to my Sony 42" LCD with a DVI to HDMI cable...