Visualizing DL rates in AOL?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by About2SwitchOvr, Apr 3, 2004.

1. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

Hello, real quick question here. I found the thread where I can toggle between rate and time remaining on DLs from Safari, but didn't see one for AOL. I feel as if AOL DL speeds are MUCH slower compared to when I was DLing on a PC from AOL using the same connection. Any input? BTW: iMac 20" brand spankin new :)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you're using 10.3, try opening Activity Monitor, and bringing up the main window; one of the tabs at the bottom gives you an option of showing the network activity on a graph. Use this to compare the same file being downloaded using AOL and Safari, and seee which is really faster.

Can't say it would surprise me if AOL downloaded slowly, though--there's a lot of overhead with their system, as I understand it.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

which thread was that? i haven't found it :p anyone have a link? or remember what it was called? i'd like to find out about that...

4. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Weird...

That's weird, I can't find it now either. If I find it, I will PM it to you...

This AOL is really bugging me now. The AOL dls were SOOO much faster on the PC, than on this MAC AOL platform. I am using the SAME cable modem, service, etc. I'm wondering if the AOL software for the Mac is different in a way that it affects DL rates? Any input?

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I dunno if this is it, but when something is DLing in Safari, hold Option and click on the active DL, it'll switch bewteen time remaining & DL speed.

6. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks

Thanks buddy. i Will try that once I get home... Just wondering because AOL seems to DL soooo much slower on the MAC, than on the PC, with the SAME connection...

7. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

hmm no luck on the Option link..

How about this, and I will drop the subject...

Can anyone estimate for me, time wise.. how long it takes you to DL a 14.4 mg file off of your cable modem? (mine is hardwired, no router, and is estimated at 6-7 minutes...) is that about the avg?