Vitamin Supplement Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Dec 4, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    This past summer I started to take multi-vitamin's, and then eventually green tea pills, and calcium pills. And I just bought Echinecea for the season. Is there any downsides for takin these?

While writing this my brother told me that he a read an article scientifically proving that Echinicea doesn't do anythin' for immunity. Anyone else read about this?
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    you can do a search on google, specifically for scholarly works. Studies and the like.

I don't think it does anything.. I'm more of a nyquil and sleep than Echinacea gal. *shrug*
  3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    You should be aware of the contents of your multi. Some companies release mutlis with mega-doses, which aren't good for you and since your body can't process a lot of it, you are effectively pissing your money away in that bright yellow stream of pee. ;)

Also, if you are eating a balanced diet and are overall healthy, there isn't a huge need for extra multis. One other thing to consider, is how many IU are included in your multis of fat soluble vitamins. Water soluble vitamins like Vitamin C aren't an issue - an overdose of those will simply pass through your body. But with things such as Vitamin A, anything above the daily recommended dosage will build up in your system and will not pass through - specifically it will build up in your liver and can lead to a whole other set of problems. So it is important to be conscious of such things. :cool: