Viva Pinata in stores ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 10, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well its been confirmed USA version is region free, and Ireland has been delayed till december, so i'm gonig to order this tonight from ebay.

Anyone bought this ?

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

no but it is on my watch list let us know how it is

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its out...cool, I might have to pick it up...damn I'm spending too much money on the 360...gotta save some for that extra PS3 control;)

Bless

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Region free? Sweet I might have to get this, been reading a lot about this game :).

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Great Review over at IGN

Well reviews are in and it's everything i wanted it to be....

looking good. Exactly what i wanted. Animal crossing meets the Sims. What does Doug Perry have to say ?

Loving it....

To me this is the game I've wanted more that GOW, and a next gen animal crossing - prepare for my life to be eaten away. Sending presents to friends online - somthing i wanted so badly in AC on the DS but never happened...

really excited for this one...

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just need to find a decent site to buy it from now. Any tips for getting games shipped from the US to the UK?

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've seen the game. I don't really understand what its about? :confused:

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Has anyone played this? I'm hearing good things about it but the "demo" on XBL was really just an interactive trailer. I'm not entirely sure what the gameplay and "depth" of the game is like.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's really too bad there isn't a vomit emoticon on this board. I can't believe people actually want to buy this game, let alone play it.

13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

What on earth is wrong with wanting to play it?

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Nothing, I guess, if you're into colorful paper mache donkeys copulating and eating chocolate coins....?

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It looks cute :D I'm going to get Saints Row too

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

If I handt played the two animal crossings to death I would agree with you. But behind the cutesy exterior is a sold micro managment sim with some very interesting AI.

I hope a demo becomes available on marketplace (not the interactive video one) so that others can see there is more to the game.

Also as cuteness goes, Viva to me is an absolutely stunning looking game, as to me as visually as accomplished as GoW.

I also suspect in 6-12 months time I'll still be playing it, unlike GoW...

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Anybody got it yet..I hate animal crossing but this seems a little better than that...let me know if its an exact clone of AC...I'll pass if it is.

Bless

18. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

mine came 2 days ago - expedited courier shipping :) Havent touched COD3 since.. It's great fun and extrememly addictive. I have about 16 pinata in my village at the mo.

It is like animal crossing, but different in the sense your not controlling anyone, your more like the hand of god (like the hand in black and white) as it were and just trying to micromanage your residents.

It's quite tricky too and when a fight breaks out really quite hectic.

Its AC in inspiration and sense of village inhabited my Animals. Its sims like in the sense of micro managment and having to cater for your residents needs (not just hunt around for sea shells and bells ala AC) and Black & White like in the sense of its just your not in overall charge of any paticlular person.

I love it to be honest, it hasnt dissapointed and it just looks and plays so beatufully on my 1080i 42" LCD, when night / day cycles or morning due or rain hits your screen, its a true memsorising visceral experience...

As for being for kids, maybe the overall aesthetic is cutesy, but I dont think the game really is for kids. Is the Sims on pc for kids... ? Theres a lot of things to learn and memorise and menu screens, I really dont think a kid would have the patience or inclination to stick it out.

I'm just happy it lived up to what i hoped for. The best rare game I've played in so so many years, even when they were still owned by Nintendo.

Like i said in previous post I hope a proper demo is released so people can try it, the interactive video one was just useless. It's a game you cant appreciate until you play, but I acknowledge if your not into this style of game, I do not think Viva Pinata is going to change your opinion.

A really refreshing game and somthing so completely different on the console. I hope this does well for them in Japan - it certainly has a very japanesey wierdness about it.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that ... i really hope it becomes succcesfull enough to bring forward more original games for the 360
    actually besides rainbow six las vegas (and perfect dark) it's the only 360 title i'm interested in

the only problem i see with the game is that the focus on pinatas ... personally i think that might hinder the world wide sales quite a bit since that concept isn't something world wide known

i know what a pinata is, but i only know it because of american movies, my 15 year old brother on the other side has no idea

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah i know what you mean, strange choice. I mean what's a pinata in Europe? Nothing....

It wuld have worked just as well if they had just made somthing up...

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And it's not actually American at all either. Everyone knows what they are simply because we are so close to Mexico, where they originate.

22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Its out here in 2 weeks I have to wait :( I have it on preorder too and its only $69 here compared to 110-120 for most games here so I'm happy :D

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

most games are 110-120 sounds huge but thats €65-72 (give or take) and thats what we pay here too. How come Viva is so cheap - its still €75 ($122) here :confused: Hence I ordered an american copy of ebay, even with expedited shipping it cost me less than I would have had to pay here.

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Picked this up on a whim. Not sure what to make of it.

It's a little annoying getting started -- the pace of the game is quick. Within a few minutes you're garden is seemingly overflowing with animals, trees, flowers, etc. Plus the frequent interruptions by the tutorial is annoying, too.

However...once you get past that it's pretty interesting. I'm very much on the fence on this one. It's too hard for a child to play, IMO, so this is pretty much geared for adults.

Money seems to be a HUGE problem in the game, though. I only have enough to buy 1 or 2 houses for the pets and then I'm broke. There's no way to generate income that I can see. :confused: I must be missing something.

Micro-managing watering plants and whatnot is tiring after a few hours. You can purchase someone to do it for you but that costs money. See previous paragraph for the problem with that.

Pinata's attack each other but I'm not sure how to break up a fight or if that's even possible. I think I'm currently level 12.

I think I need to start a new garden and try again but to be honest I'm not quite sure what I'd do differently a second go around. My daughter enjoys watching me play, though. :)