VLC 0.8.6 Released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Compile 'em all, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

VLC 0.8.6 is out :cool:.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

gr8, thanks for the info,

I see they begin to offer 3 packages, universal, ppc, and intel.

3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

WOW! They finally have wmv support! I just set VLC as my default player for wmv files. There is no more lag! :). Also, they finally have a full screen controller for OS X. This is a great update.

4. novicew macrumors member

novicew

Thank you for the tip. Just installed it & works great.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Spotted this in Digg..

Thanks for posting it though!

The remote support is simply grand! I use it on my Macbook with gleeful / maniacal, laughter!

6. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You are welcome. I am the one that actually posted it on digg :).

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You bet ya!!

This is a seriously gr8 upd8! :cool:

Even previously unplayable wmv 1080p movies are now played flawlessly, with Dolby Digital / DTS support!! :)

8. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Can you do this with VLC?

Hey,

this really isn't useful, but more of a coolness factor to me and i'm wondering if VLC can do this? One of my friends who runs Xp has some media player thay basically can play the movie as his desktop... someone told me VLC can do that, but i couldn't find the feature?

does anyone know?

9. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

how do I set VLC as my default player? sorry if thats a dumb question, but thanks!

10. tringo macrumors regular

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I downloaded it and got some sort of Asian characters in the menu. Even after changing to English interface, I still get a couple of items at the top that are in Chinese, Japanese or Korean. I have deleted the preferences and reinstalled too, at which point it is all Asian again. Help!

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

So does mine, but then I have Japanese enabled right now.

It's happened in the past so I'd expect another release soon but this is your opportunity to learn a new language.

I hope the player works better than it has in the past. It does, in a big way. The controls are still a bit tricky but it's about 10 times as good as it was.

13. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It's in the app's preferences...I think under "interface"

14. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

is it smart to make VLC the default media player? Or should I just keep it as quicktime?

15. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

Is it just me or is this upgrade an incredibly HUGE upgrade, especially for a x.x.6 release. Just, wow. As a player, it's my favourite, for other things such as editing and exporting, well Quicktime it is, but still. The full screen controller and Apple Remote compatibility is a dream come true.

To the VLC team, love.

16. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Exactly what I was thinking...but I guess they are just "improvements" which may fall under the x.x.1 numbering scheme. I'm really happy about the apple remote compatibility, it makes all the old avi's fit for watching on the TV rather than having to sit there babysit the computer to get them to play.

I was using Quicktime with FlipforMac WMV for almost everything non-avi before this. Now that VLC's codecs have been updated, it might be the right time to let go of Quicktime.

17. diego2k7 macrumors newbie

diego2k7

It should also be noted that the new version supports the apple remote. I found that out by accident. Pretty sweet nevertheless.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent news, sounds like a solid upgrade! I'll deifnitely be grabbing this when I get home from work. And WMV support too? I was currently using VLC for about 95% of my video-playing needs, now it looks like it will be 100%! :cool: