Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hey guys im using the latest VLC and when i play xvid videos over a windows 2003 server with active directory, the videos glitch for a microsecond and i miss a tiny bit of video and it gets really annoying, how ever when i play videos from my external hdd they play perfectly

PS i checked the cpu usage and it has nothing to do with it

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
semaja2 said:
Hey guys im using the latest VLC and when i play xvid videos over a windows 2003 server with active directory, the videos glitch for a microsecond and i miss a tiny bit of video and it gets really annoying, how ever when i play videos from my external hdd they play perfectly

PS i checked the cpu usage and it has nothing to do with it
Um, because its coming accross the LAN, from a server that is more than a feet of cable away like your external harddrive. Plus there is the network over head. That glitch is most likely VLC getting the video and casheing it so you get smooth play back. USB and Firewire are faster than a Network connection.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
but the fact is on my windows machine right next to the ibook both on the same network gear, the windows machine plays back perfectly. so i know it has nothing to do with the switch or server it must have something to do with VLC or the network card in the ibook

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
semaja2 said:
but the fact is on my windows machine right next to the ibook both on the same network gear, the windows machine plays back perfectly. so i know it has nothing to do with the switch or server it must have something to do with VLC or the network card in the ibook

Have you tried the most straightforward thing...increasing the cache / buffer size? This tells you how.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
well i just didnt think it would be that seeing as the windows vlc that i use has never required me to change those kinda settings

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
semaja2 said:
well i just didnt think it would be that seeing as the windows vlc that i use has never required me to change those kinda settings
VLC has numerous Preferences. Their settings as installed may not be optimal for your Mac, but may be optimal for your Windows computer.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Also, if you didn't know, Samba is more of a hack into the Windows networking world. So that fact that it might not work as well as a Windows PC, that is just the norm till MS changes its way and lets other operating systems connect to it with a well documented way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.