Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
My VLC almost always will crash when playing since installing Tiger (fresh install) I havent seen any updates from them, wondering if anyone has any hints, or knows of another program I can use?

I have spoken to friends who have no problems at all w/ VLC in tiger, I don't get it!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's weird, mine's been fine. Have you tried trashing the preferences? Do a Spotlight search for VLC and chuck it all out, redownload it and try again. I'm guessing that simply replacing the app in the Applications folder won't solve the problem, you'll need to ditch the prefs too.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
There's a beta available which solves the Tiger compatibility problems - but overall it's more unstable than 0.8.1! I think you just need to be patient.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
yeh, its just generally unstable for me also. shame, i quite like vlc!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The crashing out of full screen is a well documented bug, however after upgrading 10.4.1 it seems to be OK for me. I think development on VLC might have slowed down after being faced with certain legal issues. Beta's are a good sign though and I hope they keep developing. Too good an app not to have around.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
faustfire said:
Yea, it's unstable for me as well, freezes up when I try to resize the video.
This bug, I'm definitely having (probably 95% of the time it freezes... why not 100%, I can't figure), but so long as I leave the video at the default size, it runs fine under Tiger for me.

Come to think of it, I haven't tested it with 10.4.1 yet, perhaps there's an improvement. Still quite useable, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.