VLC and Tiger? Any fix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agentphish, May 19, 2005.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

My VLC almost always will crash when playing since installing Tiger (fresh install) I havent seen any updates from them, wondering if anyone has any hints, or knows of another program I can use?

I have spoken to friends who have no problems at all w/ VLC in tiger, I don't get it!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird, mine's been fine. Have you tried trashing the preferences? Do a Spotlight search for VLC and chuck it all out, redownload it and try again. I'm guessing that simply replacing the app in the Applications folder won't solve the problem, you'll need to ditch the prefs too.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a beta available which solves the Tiger compatibility problems - but overall it's more unstable than 0.8.1! I think you just need to be patient.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I find that my crashes when i exit full screen. It annoying but like nermal said be patient.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh, its just generally unstable for me also. shame, i quite like vlc!

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

i will try the prefs thing. and the new beta.

9. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

vlc

Yea, it's unstable for me as well, freezes up when I try to resize the video.

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The crashing out of full screen is a well documented bug, however after upgrading 10.4.1 it seems to be OK for me. I think development on VLC might have slowed down after being faced with certain legal issues. Beta's are a good sign though and I hope they keep developing. Too good an app not to have around.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

This bug, I'm definitely having (probably 95% of the time it freezes... why not 100%, I can't figure), but so long as I leave the video at the default size, it runs fine under Tiger for me.

Come to think of it, I haven't tested it with 10.4.1 yet, perhaps there's an improvement. Still quite useable, though.