VLC codec troubles,

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iEugene, Aug 10, 2006.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

I recently got the entire series for an anime (FMA) and it is a .avi file, however when I open the file (or attempt to, I get this message)

[​IMG]

Does anyone know exactly how to remedy this? Thanks in advance.

2. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I get that ALL the time, WMV3 is still a propriatary format, and cant be played by a player like VLC that requires the format to be open to some level, the only sollution I have is to get something like flip for mac and play them in quicktime.. :( Not convenient I know... if someone else has a idea please help us out!

3. vniow macrumors G4

Its WMV9 (or 10, don't remember) but VLC can't play it in any case. Use Flip4Mac and open it with Quicktime instead.

4. kewpid macrumors regular

5. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Thanks guys, I have Flip4Mac, however I am not sure how to use it, could someone walk me through it?

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Assuming you have F4M installed, just open it in QuickTime.

7. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

Just Install flip4mac on your mac and then open the movie with quicktime. The codec should automatically kick in.

EDIT: Counterfit beat me to it but yeah, do this :p

8. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Well, even with opening F4M, with Quicktime, it wouldn't work. I remember having trouble installing it because of my Intel model, is there another codec I can search for? When I open it with Quicktime it says "some nessicary quicktime files are needed" what it normally says when it doesnt' know what to do.

9. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

Try the VLC Nightly builds as others above me have already suggested. Other than that there's pretty much nothing else you can do as far as I know.

10. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Well folks, even after downloading the other VLC build, I still can't get it to work, I suppose the only thing I can do at this point would be to install boot camp and open it, or just give up for now. Thanks a lot though.

11. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

I believe WMP Series 9 is still up for download at the MS website. Try that as a last resort. Sorry I forgot to mention this.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you using VLC on Windows? The Windows port of VLC plays WMV9 content because it accesses Microsoft's built-in codecs, the same codecs used by Windows Media Player 9/10. Since these are not available on the Mac, the Mac version can't play them.

13. Yuvi macrumors member

If you had trouble installing Flip4Mac on an Intel machine, you got the outdated PowerPC only version. Get the new Universal version and reinstall. Also, the files you're talking about have AAC audio; you'll need this if your sound cuts out about a third of the way through the video or becomes desynced after a pause.

Also, the VLC nightlies don't work because they don't support advanced profile WMV3 yet.

14. RPP macrumors member

RPP

I can't seem to get WMV3 files to play on my computer either, and I have tried Flip4Mac. I Google'd this a while ago and the response I got from some other forum (can't remember what it was) was that it's more or less impossible to get these to work on a Mac. I'm sure if you looked round hard enough there'd be a way, though. There has to be :rolleyes:.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

:rolleyes: You have to use the latest version of Flip4Mac which is now UB.