VLC For iPhone and iPad Returns With Wi-Fi Upload, Dropbox Sync and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Several years ago, the popular desktop media player VLC was released for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. However, the app was eventually removed from the store over copyright issues with the GPL license.

Now, VLC is back on iOS [App Store Link] with a complete rewrite including AirPlay support, multiple ways to load files into the video app, realtime video filters, playback speed manipulation, subtitles and more.

VLC for iOS is still rolling out to international App Stores, beginning in Australia and New Zealand and arriving in the U.S. this evening.

[​IMG]
    Some of the major features include:

Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
    Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
    Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback
    Network Streams - Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
    3rd-Party App Integration - Any app with a 'share' dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
    Video Filters - Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.

To avoid further copyright issues, VLC for iOS is fully open-source and the video playback and library kits are available for integration by other developers. An SDK will be released later this summer.

VLC has already launched on the Australian and New Zealand App Stores and will be launching on others throughout the day and evening. It should be available in the U.S. at 11PM Eastern time. [App Store Direct Link]

Article Link: VLC For iPhone and iPad Returns With Wi-Fi Upload, Dropbox Sync and More

2. macrumors 6502

Christian 5G

Awesome

3. macrumors newbie

not available in the Canadian App store :(

4. macrumors 6502a

That's incredible!

5. Ichabod., Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

macrumors regular

Quick! Download it before it goes away!
    (Oh, not available yet...)

6. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

That was about time!

7. Simplicated, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I guess Rémi Denis-Courmont finally concedes that their Nokia phones were a flop.

(He is the person who requested the takedown of the original app, and was found to be a Nokia employee)

8. macrumors 6502

Not available in the Belgian App Store. Bummer.

9. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Looking forward to checking it out when it comes available in the US Store

10. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Grab it before its taken down again?

11. macrumors 65816

testcard

Great news.

12. macrumors newbie

Wow, I've had VLC installed since it came out and had no idea it was ever taken out of the App Store!

13. macrumors regular

jdogg836

I would definitely recommend grabbing it just in case. However, I've been reading the progress on it and it does appear that the GNU GPL concerns have been satisfied this time around....not to mention quite a large improvement in many other areas!

14. macrumors 6502a

Will this allow me to play other video formats besides MP4? Can I play my .avi files through this VLC app? If so, how would I get those files onto my iPad since I won't be able to do so through iTunes.

15. macrumors 6502a

Love, Love, LOVE me some VLC!

16. macrumors member

Can't download - US Pacific

17. macrumors 6502a

finally, the rant of that developer lasted long enough.

18. macrumors 6502a

Says it isnt' in the US store for me either.

Fack... reading comprehension error. Not available until TONIGHT. Was trying to hurry and grab it before it is pulled again!

19. macrumors 6502a

"Some of the major features include:

Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
    Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
    Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback"

And you will probably also be able to upload your video files (yes, also avis) via iTunes if you click on the "Apps" card when your iPad is plugged in - there is an option to manually upload files from hard disk to specific apps which allow this.

20. macrumors 603

rgarjr

About time. Can't wait to install.

21. macrumors 6502

Of course you can do it through iTunes

22. macrumors 65816

TroyBoy30

+1

23. macrumors 68000

TyPod

Great, so glad to see it back! I'll be downloading it on my iP5 and iPad mini shortly. :)

24. macrumors 604

bushido

not yet at the german store either, grabbed it from the aussie store however

25. macrumors regular

Heres hoping it includes audio codecs ... I'm currently on good player which is IMMENSLY useful for transferring any sort of file to and from iPad or iPhone
    .also plays 1080 and 720 ...