VLC HD-DVD support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vlawillie, Dec 30, 2006.

1. vlawillie macrumors newbie

I am wanting to buy into the current HD wars, and I will get the HD-DVD player for Xbox 360, but I am wondering if anyone is in the know about HD-DVD support either from DVD Player or VLC. I really would love if I could use that external HD-DVD for dual purposes, and am wondering if anyone knows when VLC will support HD-DVD or how hard it is to write a program for this. I am thinking of contacting developers somehow, because who would not buy a $200 HD player if we could use it with our macs?

Anyone know about it?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't think HD-DVD player for xbox360 can be used on a mac to play HD-DVD, at least for now, the system won't recognize it that way.

ps, there are also tons of legal problem involved.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Really? What legal issues would arise for someone who purchased the 360 HD-DVD add-on? As long as the person didn't steal it, it's their right to use it on unsupported hardware. Remember this a bare OEM drive in an external Microsoft case.

Back to the OP, the drive is recognizable by the Finder, however Apple's DVD Player does not currently support HD-DVD playback. Also, no third-party utilities support HD-DVD playback either.

In addition, the drive is recognizable in Windows XP/Vista using a Toshiba OEM driver, and Cyberlink just released a HD-DVD player upgrade which supports the drive.

In short, you can't use it on Mac OS X yet.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i was talking about legal problems involved the HD-DVD movies, not the player. in supporting HD-DVD movie playback, there will be anti-piracy check implemented.

again, the HD-DVD player for xbox 360 is ONLY recognized by Finder as a normal DVD-player, it can't play HD-DVD, reason? some people said its the problem of OSX, others said its the media player software.

Apple's DVD player DOES support HD-DVD, but it doesn't support the "copyright protection tech" with these commercial HD-DVDs, thats what I mean by "legal problems", clear?

5. vlawillie thread starter macrumors newbie

Your legal issues don't really apply. This is a piece of hardware being sold under a Microsoft label for a suggested context (to play on xbox 360). It is the same as if you were playing DVDs on a drive bought from some third party.

Also no HD-DVD's have HDCP protection on them yet, so that is not an issue either.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/

Check this article out if this is new to you. The only issue preventing this drive from playing is software capable of reading HD-DVD's.

Original question - Does anyone know about when VLC is adding support or about any other upcoming media programs?

Thanks

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u need to read M$'s HD BR-disk hardware anti-piracy implement of windows vista before making statement based on totally third party, not legally responsible groups' experience.

7. vlawillie thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone have any useful info or just plain educated speculation?? (this is a rumors site, you know :p )

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In that case then I heard from this guy who knows this girl who knows this guy that if you smear icecream all over your monitor then play a normal DVD it looks like you are watching a HDDVD through frosted glass.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i just realized there was an thread at VLC's forum about if and when VLC will do that. go there and have a look. :D (ps, i didnt read it, so don't ask me...)