Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Felix Paul Kuehne, lead developer for the iOS and OS X version of popular video player app VLC, has confirmed that VLC for iOS should be available again soon in the iOS App Store (via Softpedia). The app will be returning after an almost four-month absence from the iOS platform.

vlcipad.jpg
VLC for iOS mysteriously disappeared from the iOS App Store following the release of iOS 8 in September of this year. VLC did not comment on the removal, only stating that it was "working with Apple on a solution" to bring VLC back into the App Store. After several months of silence, the company announced in early December that it was launching a semi-public TestFlight beta trial of the updated version of the app.

Addressing a recent complaint about the app still not being available, Kuehne wrote in a VLC forum post that, "It will be again, but probably early next year due to the iTunes Connect holiday shutdown." He added on Twitter that the app will be back "Hopefully quite soon."
@wayneh0813 @videolan hopefully quite soon :) - Felix Paul Kühne (@feepk) December 29, 2014
VLC recently released the TestFlight beta 2 version of VLC for iOS 2.4.0 with a handful of improvements. Based on Kuehne's comments, soon everyone, not just beta testers, will be able download the version as a new app or an update for versions downloaded before the app was removed from the App Store.

Article Link: VLC Developer Confirms iOS App Will Relaunch in Early 2015

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I used to previously wait endlessly for this app way back as my iphone 4 couldn't play and avi files. At the time my computer was a super old one and would take like 45 mins to convert short video clips from avi to mp4. Movies would take anywhere above 2 hrs.

Once I upgraded my computer and mass converted my library to mp4 in literally just a few days, I no longer require anything but the stock app to play videos.

Still hopefully VLC continues to offers tons more features than the stock app for playback.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I still use the old non-retina iOS 5 or whatever version that was, it's useable and at least it can play videos without having to transcode them for endless hours like the useless built-in Videos app. Can't wait for it to be re-released, it's the only way to play videos really.

vashspike

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
A never-ending loop
I've been using Infuse for quite some time now. It's best features are bought via in app purchase but it is the best video player I've found for my iPad/iPhone. No transcoding needed and it handles every obscure video format I can throw at it. My favorite feature is having it connect to a shared folder on my computer and it will allow me to download videos to my device or stream them from my desktop around the house.

Oh, almost forgot. It allows you to AirDrop your videos to other peoples devices! I love this!!

Get it, you won't regret it.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I hope VLC add access to device's photos and videos. Could actually watch my sync'ed slomo videos in slow motion then. Sucks that the stock Photos app doesn't play back slomo for sync'ed slomo videos.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
VLC has always been a bug infested mess for me, across all platforms. I find only the OS X version is barely usable. The Linux and Android versions are less so. The rest are crash city. I hope this version, when released, is better than usual, because usual is not usable.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Well, I bought AV Player HD not too long ago and have been happy with it so far. I don't think I'll be switching to VLC once it finally comes out again, unless I ran into an unplayable video on AV Player HD.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
VLC has always been a bug infested mess for me, across all platforms. I find only the OS X version is barely usable. The Linux and Android versions are less so. The rest are crash city. I hope this version, when released, is better than usual, because usual is not usable.

Yeah, I only use it as a last resort. They also made the interface more annoying in recent versions. What's this "library" crap that shows up like it's iTunes or something when I'm just trying to play one video?

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I was having problems with the last version in iOS8 with playback issues. I certainly can't wait for the new version to reappear in the App store. However, in the mean time, I've been using the Mac video conversion app Waltr. Works great and quickly converts most if not all formats to be used by iOS' Video app. It's way faster than Handbrake, but again it has to convert the video unlike VLC which will simply play the given format. Before Waltr I was utilizing Air Video HD's ability to convert and save the video on your phone wirelessly.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Huh? It was removed for a second time? What the the reason this time?

From what I gather they didn't have the iOS 8 version ready when the software was and the old version crashed all the time.

hopefully they are also putting h.265 support into the app. As Apple doesn't have it and I like the smaller storage size, this would give me a reason to try VLC out again. Cause they rather pissed me off when I updated my app and it turned into some VLC remote and not the player

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
From what I gather they didn't have the iOS 8 version ready when the software was and the old version crashed all the time.

hopefully they are also putting h.265 support into the app. As Apple doesn't have it and I like the smaller storage size, this would give me a reason to try VLC out again. Cause they rather pissed me off when I updated my app and it turned into some VLC remote and not the player

I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the 6 and 6+ have h.265 support. Let me go see if I can find it.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I loooooooove VLC on iPad!!!
Old version works fine for me on my Air 2, btw.
Had one "crash to homescreen" error on open recently, but a reinstall sorted it.
My fave feature, carried over from the desktop is the ability to granularly adjust playback speed. I'm positively ADDICTED to this feature!! My son & I often marathon watch tv show series we're getting into, and found that playing at 1.2x speed is perfect to us!!! Saves us 20% of the time watching & we can't even tell the difference. Bloody brilliant! Lol, it has actually become a genuine annoyance that we cannot do this on Netflix!
My fave iOS feature is the fact that swiping up on the left side of the screen adjusts brightens & the right adjusts volume. No gui... no menus. Nothing. Just the most common controls available from within the content! I think this should be a blueprint for how media consumption apps should be.
I didn't think I could imagine it any better until the earlier mention of another video app that allows airdrop between devices. Sounds awesome! Share sheets to transfer to Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or Google Drive would be awesome too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.