VLC Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semaja2, Dec 25, 2005.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys when i first installed VLC it crashed a couple of time but this morning it is crashing everytime about 10 seconds after opening, any ideas?

ps i had also had crashes in mail and some other apps but not as bad as this

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe use Spotlight to find a file named org.videolan.vlc.plist and remove it from the folder you see it in. Reopen VLC and see if it crashes anymore. This file holds all your VLC settings and if you want to keep them and this doesn't solve your problem then you can simply put the file back where you found it originally, replacing the newly created file, reopen VLC and have all your old settings. This probably isn't so much of an issue for you because it's such a new computer. :)

As for other apps crashing, maybe run Activity Monitor in the background (it's in the Utilities folder) to see if there's a process using up a lot of CPU or RAM.

FWIW, VLC is a pretty unstable app. It crashes quite a bit but we love it anyway. :p

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok then is there a codec bundle for quick time or a another app that is good at playing back files, ive already got xineplayer but i would like something like wmp10 with its libary feature

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, there's MPlayer as a stand alone player, then there's DivX and 3ivx for QuickTime plug ins.

I still think VLC is probably the best option though. Did deleting the preference file help? :)

5. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried deleting the file and it didnt work stil crashes

PS where is a list of codec plugins for quicktime becuase i got xvid but i need a audio codec for it now

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

VLC never plays anything for me. I usually just get sound with no pictures.

7. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

when i 1st installed it, it worked great. then after a while i reinstalled it and it crashes as soon as it opens. i will have to try removing that file and see if it fixes the issue

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are two things that need to be deleted when VLC gets crashy. Along with org.videolan.vlc.plist , you also want to trash the VLC folder (also found in your Library:preferences).

9. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

alright cool, will try that tonight after work