1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

VLC on MB Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ET iPhone Home, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ET iPhone Home, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for your help.

2. macrumors 68030

Tinmania

64bit Intel Mac. The 32/64 version includes both the 32 and 64 bit versions and is a larger download but would also be fine.

Michael

3. ET iPhone Home, Dec 9, 2011

macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Thanks. Will try now. So it is a player?

4. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

It's just a player.

5. macrumors 68030

Tinmania

It's primarily a player.

6. ET iPhone Home, Dec 9, 2011

macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Thanks.

7. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Back up movies from where?
    Dvds?

If you want to rip DVDs, use Handbrake, also free.
    has these nifty profiles on the right side bar, for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, it's great!

8. macrumors demi-god

mobilehaathi

Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Just an external HD?

9. ET iPhone Home, Dec 9, 2011

macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Thanks.

10. mobilehaathi, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

macrumors demi-god

mobilehaathi

Wait, what do you mean by backup?

edit: Ok, i bothered to read the rest of your post. You want to rip your DVDs? RipIt, Handbreak, MacTheRipper...do you want to encode to a particular format or just dump the VOB files? Do you just want to clone an image?

Handbreak can rip/encode sufficiently for my needs...

11. macrumors 6502a

No, it's not "just a player", see the transcoding CLI and GUI documentation.

However, VLC is more for transcoding streams. If you want to rip DVDs, you could stream a transcoded version of your DVDs to a file but it's not practical.

I recommend HandBrake for that. The best transcoding app. Both CLI and GUI. Available for OS X, Linux and even crappy ol' Windows.

12. macrumors 6502a

I assume you'll be watching them using Battery while travelling, correct? If so, definitely just use Handbrake to convert your movies to m4v at some lower resolution and use Quicktime. I can watch 480p m4vs with Quicktime for a good 6-7 hours. However, if I start watching 720p mkvs with VLC / mplayerx, the battery is basically cut in half.

13. macrumors newbie

Visual distortions in VLC on my new macbook air

Has anyone else encountered visual pixelation/distortion when going into fullscreen mode with VLC? It only occurs during the resizing, after which it is fine.

14. macrumors 604

Pretty normal

15. macrumors 65816

How did you use Windows and not know about VLC?

16. macrumors 6502a

Good question. Though Windows users have another good open-source video player: Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, which takes full advantage of DxVA (like VLC).

17. macrumors regular

How can I set VLC as my default media player? Quicktime hates almost all my files and constantly right clicking got old fast.

18. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Choose "Get Info" on the File, change the default application to open it with, then click the button "Change All".

19. macrumors 6502

If you want a user friendly way to backup DVD movies, then I'd suggest RipIt.

20. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Because VLC sucks. On Windows, you just use a codec pack and a proper video player like Media Player Classic. On OS X, you should be using something like MPlayer OS X Extended. Same for Linux really.

21. macrumors 6502a

VLC plays all my video formats in both mac and windows, why does it suck?

22. macrumors 65816

antonis

Actually things on the Mac side are way better than what you know from Windows. There are excellent media players able to play any format and some of them they are so light you can actually play 1080p movies on an older mac laptop. And the most important: They have all the codecs built into the application, no need to bloat your system with bad-quality s/w like windows (i.e. install tens of codecs from unreliable sources in the system=bad idea).

For example, you may start looking at the mac app store for the applications:
    mplayerx
    movist

The 1st one is free and I use it for just about everything. It's just one click away.

23. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Not this again. Use the search function next time.

24. macrumors 6502a

Menge

I don't get the rage against VLC. It's fine as a video player. That video is SUCH flame bait and aggressive it's absurd.

Your MacBook Air should be fine with VLC.

Handbrake has some nice presets to encode pre-ripped discs. I'm not sure about ripping, though.

25. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Sure it is, but it's right. Can you counter the facts ? Of course not, VLC sucks, there are better options out there. No need to use the worst video player because :

Sure and I'm just fine eating dry bread and water. Doesn't mean I don't aspire to better.

MplayerX or Mplayer OS X Extended are both superior options.