VLC Player - DVD problem/issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HelixOmnimedia, Oct 5, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Sorry if this problem has been discussed before.

I've had VLC Media Player on my Mac for some time, but have been using it more and more in the last few weeks as I’m restarting university.

Anyway...
    Some DVDs won't load and it doesn't give an error message or anything. So far I’ve found that Lost Season 1 & The Lake House won't load (haven't tried season 2 yet, still watching Supernatural).

I know how to load DVDs on it, so that's not the problem. But what could be causing it? Are some DVDs restricted so they can only play on multiregion players ect?

Thanks to anyone how can shed some light on this issue.

2. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Just tried to use Handbrake and Handbrake Instant, and the same thing has happened, it scans for the titles and then nothing. - that was with The Lake House.

I think i may have answered my own question about the DVDs having something on them that doesn't allow ripping or playing in media players.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

4. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

The PowerBook has a Region 2 drive and the DVDs that i'm playing are Region 1.
    Saying that, other Region 1 DVDs like Supernatural, Desperate Housewives, and Veronica Mars all play fine with no problems.
    I uses DVDplayer.app for Region 2 (no probelm there) and VLCplayer for Region 1.

Should have mentioned that in the original post:eek: