VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kerpow, Sep 9, 2005.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to set VLC to be the default player for avi files. Would be nice to click on a file rather than right clik -> Open with -> VLC.

There are no options in VLC for this nor in Quicktime. I checked out their site but couldn't come up with anything.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hold down Option key while right-clicking. Always Open With... will highlight. Or click on Other... and click the checkmark as described.

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

No. This will force you to apply the changes only to those files you have opened. But yoou want to change every .avi, as I understand.

In order to do that, select an .avi file and choose the "Get Info" option by right clicking on the file.

You should see an option "Open With:" somewhere in the middle of the window. Change the default application, and then click the "Change All" button below that option you have just changed.

This will apply the changes to every file with the same extension as the one you are modifying.

4. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks alot. I thought it might have been an obscure setting in Quicktime. A little like telling Safari not to be the default browser.

5. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

You can use an app called RCDefault App to set default programs across the board. Very useful.