VMware Fusion 5 vs VMware Fusion 4: impact on OS X performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozaz, Feb 16, 2013.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    I'm wondering whether to upgrade to Fusion 5.

    I run a Win 7 64bit VM using Fusion 4 on a 2009 MBP running OS X 10.8.

    It does not run too badly, but improvements in the impact of the VM on the host system would always be welcome (i.e. lower cpu/battery usage, less spinning beachballs in OS X whilst the VM is running).

    If you have upgraded from Fusion 4 to Fusion 5 have you noticed much impact on these things?
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    How much RAM have you installed in your 2009 MBP and how much RAM have you allocated to the Windows 7 VM?
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    MBP = 8 GB RAM
    VM = 3 GB RAM, 1 processor core
     
  4. macrumors 68030

    tkermit

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    #4
    They offer a trial version, so you can see for yourself. Personally, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade (on a Mid2010 MBP). In fact, version 5 was subjectively slower than Fusion 4.

    You may want to think about getting an SSD which will help a lot in terms of virtual memory performance and should significantly reduce the amount of beachballs you see. Putting the virtual machine on a separate volume would also be advantageous. (I'm assuming you've maxed out the RAM already)
     
  5. macrumors 68030

    CylonGlitch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    SoCal
    #5
    FWIW, I have found that if you run 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit, you'll get a lot better performance. 64bit windows REALLY wants 4GB of RAM.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Thanks for input.

    How much of a nuisance is it downgrading from a trial version to an old version? Obviously the software is no problem, but what about the VM itself? My assumption is that it would be a nuisance, hence asking here prior to deciding whether to bother with the trial.

    Getting an SSD is not something I am going to do just yet. I will be switching to a new, SSD equipped, machine later in the year or next year so keeping funds for that. I would need a 500 GB SSD.

    ----------

    Didn't think about that. Has this opinion come from just a couple of VMs....or many more?
     
  7. macrumors 68030

    tkermit

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    #7
    You're asked whether you want to upgrade the VM, which would make it incompatible with prior versions of Fusion. It's not something you're forced to do though, and you can always 'downgrade' it again at a later point, if I remember correctly (under Settings -> Compatibility). You'll probably want to keep a current version of the VM as a backup though, just in case.
     

Share This Page