VMware Fusion on Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by andy8, Jul 29, 2012.

1. andy8, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2009
    Mountain Lion has been great so far but I'm experiencing very frequent (coloured balls) and sluggishness with VMware Fusion running on Windows 7 32-bit. I didn't have this problem with Lion. Currently vmware-vmx on Activity Monitor shows 101% CPU usage. I did clean install with Mountain Lion.

I have a Macbook Pro 13inch 2.26GHz (mid-2009) model and 4GB RAM. I don't know if I should upgrade my RAM to 8GB or go for a SSD. Which of these will be best as an upgrade for a overall system smoothness ?
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Just wait for an update of VMware.
    Current release of fusion has reportedly issues with MountainLion right now.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2009
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 30, 2008
    What version are you using? I haven't wrung it out thoroughly since upgrading to ML but so far it seems to work fine here.

The latest version is definitely something you'll want. Go to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/login and log in with your user credentials, and upgrade.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2009
    I am using version 4.1.3 which has to be the latest.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2009
    Mountain Lion using lots of CPU resource - VTDecoderXPCService

I am experiencing inefficient CPU usage with Mountain Lion. Yesterday VMware Fusion was using ridiculuous amount of CPU - never had the problem with Lion, and today I saw another service called 'VTDecoderXPCService' using almost 70% of my CPU resource. I was watching a Youtube video on HTML5 as I use ClickToPlugin. If I pause the video, the VTDecoderXPCService CPU usage drops immediately.

Anyone else have this problem ? Should I re-install Mountain Lion ? I had initially clean-installed Mountain Lion from Lion so don't know where the issue comes from.