VMware hanging after increasing RAM !!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jigsb007, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2010

i am stuck, i got new 27 iMAC, and installed vmware ( Not verson 5 ), then installed windows 7 , after a week or so i upgraded my imac to 32GB, so i thought to increase VMware RAM allocation to 8 or 16 GB.

now, i cudnt do it thru the vmware menu, so i found out that its possible by manually changing memory from.VMX file.

so, i changed ( while doing this, my windows was runnning thru VMware ) , but now i m not able to shut down my windows or boot properly.

if i Force kill VMware form MAC, next time it starts from the same stage.

I really dont wanna reload windows...

Any thing we can do here...please help...
    Many thanks..:eek:
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Either use the backup of the VMX file to replace the changed one or change the values to the ones before you changed it.

And why could you not change the amount of RAM VMWare Fusion uses for that particular VM via the built in preferences?
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2010
    You can only change upto 8GB from VMware, if you want to assign morethen 8GB, then u have to modify the .vmx file.

I dont think there is a backup file, but i did restore previous value, but in order to apply properly, you need to restart VMware properly...
    In my case, my windows is half way, i m not able to apply..

any idea, how i can kill winodows and restart...