VMware Launches 'Fusion 5' Virtualization Software, Parallels 8 Coming September 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

VMware today announced the immediate availability of VMware Fusion 5, the latest version of the company's virtualization software that allows users to run Windows and other operating systems virtualized alongside their native OS X operating systems. Optimized for both OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8, Fusion 5 contains over 70 new features.
    [​IMG]
    Fusion 5 is priced at $49.99 for the standard version, with an enhanced Professional version available for $99.99. Users who purchased Fusion 4 on or after July 25 can receive a free upgrade to the new version.

VMware's major competitor in the virtualization market is Parallels, which is also preparing to launch an updated version of its own software. Parallels has yet to share full details on its forthcoming Parallels 8, but does note that it will debut on September 4 and customers who purchase now will receive a free upgrade to the new version when it launches.

Article Link: VMware Launches 'Fusion 5' Virtualization Software, Parallels 8 Coming September 4

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Funny to see the Internet Explorer icon in the dock. The price is reasonable too as far as I can judge from the new features.

4. macrumors newbie

Anyone else think that it is funny that the image skips Windows Vista?!?!

5. macrumors 6502a

What's Windows Vista?

6. macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Ah, crap. I bought an update to Parallels 7 a couple of days ago, since v6 was apparently incompatible with Mountain Lion, so I'm thinking that probably means I won't get the upgrade to Parallels 8.

7. macrumors newbie

Glad to see more retina-aware apps coming for Apple's new vision of the future, i.e. retina displays. Excellent work!

8. macrumors 6502a

Fusion 5? Why would that call it that?! Clearly it's going to be Fusion 6!

9. macrumors G4

If you bought Parallels 7 on or after July 25th, you'll get a free update to Parallels 8.

10. KdParker, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

macrumors 68040

KdParker

which is cheaper and better fusion 5 or parallels 8?

11. macrumors G4

Fusion 4S. :D

12. macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Tempting.

I liked the windows 8 preview. Can't wait to install it on my server.

13. macrumors member

Steelgrave

So does this mean we can finally assign more than 8GB ram to a VM?

14. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Would have to be super smooth to tease my monies away while I have Bootcamp. Though I do look forward to the day when I don't have to reboot for a good gaming experience.

15. macrumors newbie

This is the most awesome feature imo:

[​IMG]

You can finally create virtual networks!

16. macrumors 6502

For anyone that's used this before, how well does it run? I always wondered if you ran something like this all the programs would run a lot slower than they would on an actual PC machine.

17. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

18. Guest

VMWare needs a cheaper slimmed down version of Fusion for those of us who DON'T give a crap about all the Windows integration.

19. macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

May actually re-up on Parallels now that there is a release date inside of six months.

20. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

So I can go out and buy Fusion 4 for cheaper (I'd imagine it'd go down in price?) and get a free upgrade?

EDIT - Mainly just curious. Virtualbox has served my needs just fine to be honest.

21. macrumors 6502a

Looks like there is no reduced upgrade price for Fusion 4 to Fusion 5. But there is a discounted upgrade for Fusion 4 to Fusion Pro 5 at £34/$50.

From a quick look Fusion Pro 5 seems to have taken some of the features from Workstation. A better network editor and VMware Player for example.

Not sure it's worth rushing to purchase it, VMware have done some cheap offers before when Parallels have released new versions.

They've released Workstation 9 as well. Looks like they may have rushed these releases a bit as their website is all over the place at present - maybe there will be a reduced upgrade price and they just haven't added it yet.

22. macrumors 65816

Dadioh

VMware Fusion 4 could not handle partitions on a hard drive if you wanted a second drive. Just a whole disk and even that was a pain to do requiring some work in CLI. Hopefully version 5 of Fusion fixes this. I couldn't be bothered so I switched to Parallels 7 which has no such limitations.

23. macrumors 6502

I wish I was so lucky, my work is still on Windows Vista. I have to restart my computer twice a day just so I can do my job.

I thought Fusion 4 was good but I only ever used it in the trail period. I haven't had much use for Windows since I graduated College.

24. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I am a hardcore Windows Me kind of guy.

25. macrumors G4

I'm not sure how sustainable a business model it is for VMWare and Parallels to release minor updates for $49 every year. It would be nice if Fusion 5 and Parallels 8 were instead released as "4.2" and "7.1" at no charge for existing Fusion 4.1 and Parallels 7 owners. Upgrading an OS every year is one thing if it is going to be $20, but $49 is a bit much.