VMware on OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrewheard, Jun 2, 2006.

1. andrewheard macrumors regular

May 16, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I just wanted to know if anyone else got an e-mail like this today? I don't ever remember signing up for anything with vmware so it might just be spam but if you are a developer then it can't hurt to send them a message. I write code in a much more advanced language than they're looking for (AppleScript). :rolleyes:

Hi Andrew ,
    I am looking for a MAC UI developer and wondered if you know anyone who would be interested -- they can contact me directly at hcharnaw@vmware.com.
    Here is a description:

User Interface Engineer

Want to see VMware run on a Mac? This is your chance to play a critical role in making that dream into a reality!

For many years, Mac users who wanted to run the occasional Windows app were able to get by with a product known as VirtualPC by Connectix (later acquired by Microsoft). This product got the job done, (yes, you could play Commander Keen), but was never all that impressive in terms of performance, and only worked on the PPC chipset that Apple has now moved away from in preference for Intel x86 -- so what's a Mac Zealot to do??? In the late 90s, a new leader in the field of virtualization was born… Since its founding in 1998, VMware Inc. has built its business on delivering world class virtualization solutions on the x86 platform; our award winning Workstation, Player and Server products have consistently been ranked best of breed on desktop Windows and Linux PCs. Our software does more than "just" run Windows -- we run it darn fast. Wait! It's much more than that… Not only do we provide PC users *true* platform independence with a staggering variety of supported host and guest operating systems, (name a flavor of Linux or Windows), we also provide a myriad of powerful tools and solutions -- innovative features like Snapshots which allow you to repeatedly save to disk the entire runtime state of a Virtual Machine and restore to them at any time in the future.

Now you have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help bring this exciting technology to the Apple Macintosh platform. No product announcements have been made yet, but speculation is rampant, (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/4/8/3520) and VMware's CEO, Diane Greene, has been quoted by USA today as saying, "We can run it in the MacOS in our labs already." (http://blogs.usatoday.com/maney/2006/04/mac_and_xp_a_vi.html).

Want to play in those labs? Got some serious MacOS development skills? Want to work with a great, energetic, intelligent, highly motivated, cross discipline and cross platform development team? Want to win one for the Mac, and maybe pitch in and help with Linux from time to time? Want to have serious bragging rights in the MacOS development community for years and years to come while growing your career and having a great time doing it?

Contact Wendy Cutler from VMware Recruiting, wcutler@vmware.com, to find out more!

The Big Footprint Group UI development team is responsible for developing compelling applications for virtual machines on Linux, Windows and Mac platforms. As a member of the UI team, you will do the following:

Help define the requirements of new products and features, and collaborate on the user interface design
    Design and own key components of our applications.
    Develop flexible, reusable code that can be shared in multiple applications.
    Ship quality desktop and server applications to hundreds of thousands of customers.

3+ years experience of commercial software product development.
    Experience with software development in C/C++/Objective-C.
    Familiarity with either Windows application development (COM/Win32/MFC/ATL/WTL), Linux application development (gtk2) or Mac OS (OS X, Aqua and Cocoa a plus).
    Excellent design, programming and debugging skills.
    Excellent user interaction design and visual design acumen.
    Strong analytical skills, good judgment, passion for your work.
    BSCS, MSCS or equivalent

Hayley Charnaw
    Technical Recruiter

3145 Porter Drive
    Palo Alto, CA 94304

2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    You might have your resume posted online somewhere, thats where they found you. I know someone who was recently hired by them who was found because his resume was on his website. They seem to be hiring alot lately because their expanding to their new campus that they are building.
  3. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

May 16, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Well I haven't posted a resume online either. I'm just a lowly high school student.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Heh, in that case, maybe you should apply and see what happens! :D

The worst one of these I know is that I had this friend (an aerospace engineering undergrad at the time) who, when Mosaic first came out and it was the new thing to do to write a simple homepage for oneself, made a *very simple* homepage. It consisted of a background tag with a GIF image and some plain text along the lines of, "I've got a good background, now I just need to work on adding stuff to this site." That was the whole site.

He got an e-mail from a recruiter that began, "I can see you've got a really great background in web design...."

5. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

May 16, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Thats pretty funny. Did he get the job after all?
  6. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    The job description suits my education and experience quite well... Is it serious? Maybe I should send them an e-mail... :p
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Heh, I can't remember if he sent in a resumé. He's a great guy, though. I haven't seen him in a couple of years. :(
  8. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    Probably it is a generic letter sent to hundreds of people.