VMWare Public Beta, Parallels Beta 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

VMWare has posted a public beta (Build 36932) of their Intel Mac virtualization software called Fusion.The new VMware desktop product for the Mac, codenamed Fusion, allows Intel-based Macs to run x86 operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, NetWare and Solaris, in virtual machines at the same time as Mac OS X. It is built on VMware's rock-solid and advanced desktop virtualization platform that is used by over four million users today.
    The download page requires some registration to generate a Serial Number for the beta software. FAQ and release notes are available online. Key features described include:

- Assign multiple CPUs to your virtual machine
    - Intel Mac support (all models)
    - USB 2.0 support
    - Drag/Drop file support.

Meanwhile, Parallels has been providing frequent updates for their virtualization solution for the Mac and have just released Beta 2, which brings a number of improvements including USB 2.0 support, Boot Camp partition support, and Drap/Drop support.

Article Link: VMWare Public Beta, Parallels Beta 2
  2. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Can Fusion coexist with Parallels? Or do I need to remove Parallels to install Fusion Beta?

4. macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002

Let virtualization roll.........
  5. macrumors newbie

Dec 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA, in between semesters.
    I wonder, will there come a day soon when I don't need to keep my PC around and up to date for gaming? 'Cause that would be really, really cool...
    Admittedly I haven't looked that hard into it, but is this within the realm of possibility with these programs and the intel mac hardware?
  6. macrumors member

Nov 14, 2006
    Great! New beta of VMWare Fusion, somehow this application just works finer then Parallels Desktop. Also the support of Windows VMWAre Image is a killer!
  7. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2006
    I signed up to be a beta tester months ago but no beans till now. I have parallels but im going to check this out.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    this new beta for Parallels is horrible so far....it slows down my mac badly. and it does not automatically adjust the resolution either. I don't know what's going on here. maybe i did something wrong.

did anyone notice this? now I also have to lock inside the console to move the mouse whereas I didn't have to do that in Beta 1.
  9. macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2006
    Latvia / Austria
    ever heard of codeweavers crossover?
    i have nothing but excellent experience with gaming win soft on osx. uses all my macs resources and dont need win to run pc progs.
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2003
    the new coherence feature in parallels really blows anything VMWare offers right now out of the water. I do agree that Parallels seems to slow down my machine a great deal but until VMWare can offer me Coherence and BootCamp support (so i only have one windows installation) its still parallels for me!
  11. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2005
    When you upgrade from Beta 1, you MUST reinstall Parallels Tools in Windows. This restores that mouse functionality.
  12. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2005
    VMWare Fusion can coexist with Parallels, but of course each uses their own format.
  13. macrumors newbie

Dec 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA, in between semesters.
    Just from glancing over their supported apps, all but one or two of my favorite games are listed as not working... Good idea though!
  14. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2006
    I give them credit it actually took me to the vista install screen(look at my measly specs) as apposed to parallels would just bring my whole system to a hault.
  15. macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Can Fusion boot from Boot Camp? If so, I'll download immediately. If not...my MacBook only has a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not installing Windows TWICE.

EDIT: Just read the Parallels feature list. When the new version is released, I'll buy it.
  16. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2005
    The day in which you install any or all virtualization solutions with A SINGLE WINDOWS installation will be a gigantic leap aheap. I do not want to install the very same Windows for each and every virtualuzation that I want to try or have! Time is limited and disk space is also limited.
  17. macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Hobart, Australia
    It will be interesting to see how this competition plays out, smaller Parallels with headstart and more interesting features versus the industry behemoth VMWare with its much greater experience and resources.

I'm personally rooting for Parallels ;)
  18. macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Hmm... anyone care to list the pros and cons of both?

I have used Parallels quite a bit, but I wonder why I should try VMWare (apart from the fact that it's fun to do... ;))
  19. macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2002
    I'm very excited about this "Drap/Drop support" :)
  20. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2006
    Parallels seems to eclipse Crossover?

If I read correctly then Parallels now does what Crossover does. That is run a PC app in Mac OS X. Anyone know what the caveats are?
  21. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2006
    Taranto (Italy)
    No, it's not the same thing. With the Coherence mode you are always running Windows (instead of Creossover that uses Windows-like API, not Windows) but Parallels hides background, start menu, ecc and shows you only the application's window.
  22. macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Hobart, Australia
    A major difference is that Crossover Office does not require a copy of Windows, whilst Parallels does.
  23. macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2006
    Latvia / Austria
    ALL the games im playing through crossover are not in the suported app list. the list contains apps that are tested by codeweavers.
    for example- when i launched crossover for the very first time i tried to install counterstrike. cs worked on maxed out quality. perfect!
    and you don't deed to install m$win
    and the apps are opening just like normal osx apps.
    you don't mess up your file system. there is just one folder containing crossover and all the installed apps.
    hmm, i cant think fast enough to tell how GREAT crossover is:)
    give a try (60 days for free)
    and just read the manual carefully
  24. macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    Parallels are going to have to work hard to maintain their market.

Whilst a casual VM user will have a choice between Parallels & VMWare, anyone in the corporate space will find the cross-platform use of VMWare very compelling. I've used VMWare for years on Windows and have lots of different corporate VM images. Moving to the Mac meant using only Parallels so I had to re-create the VMs. But now there's a choice.

Just look at the array of virtual appliances. Wow! I've not seen these before and really appreciate the idea that I could load up a whole range of pre-configured VMs - especially the Linuxes.

I've enjoyed using Parallels and feel a degree of sympathy with them in a kind of David and Goliath way. But struth, the big boy's coming back into the playground and is really going to really fight for the market which VMWare see as theirs.
  25. macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    yeah, but crossover + office = not a fully working copy of said microsoft suite.

Parallels and VMWare both offer virtualisation if the processor supports it properly (some of the Core Duo machines don't seem to).

Crossover uses Windows libraries to run the applications in a 'container'.