VNC & Dual-Boot Windows Box Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by micvog, Mar 26, 2006.

1. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I have an iMac G5 and an old Windows box (the Windows box has no monitor, keyboard or mouse). I am using VNC to remote-control the Windows box.

I have set up the Windows box to dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to, from my Mac, select between Windows and Ubuntu? AFAIK I would need to connect a keyboard and select the OS I want to use during the boot sequence (since, obviously, VNC is not loaded so I can't do that from my Mac).

Thanks.

2. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Ubuntu works on macs last i heard, i downloaded the ppc version and it works fine, perhaps thats a much better solution!

that way the windows box can do what its good at, and the ubuntu will b faster cause it will be local.

3. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

Thanks for the idea joshysquashy. Last version of Ubuntu I tried on my iMac G5 was 5.04 and it didn't work (as I recall it was something to do with the SATA interface which caused Ubuntu not to see my hard drive). I haven't tried it with 5.10... I will look into that.

However, I would still rather get Ubuntu on the Windows box. I am more likely to need the Mac and Ubuntu desktops up at the same time than the Ubuntu and Windows desktops.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

What bootloader are you using?

if you are looking for the equivilent of "Startup Disk" in Macs control panel, I think you are out of luck.

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

You will never be able to remote control a computer before the os starts. Unless you can create a method of "restarting in ubuntu" or visa versa you will have to add a keyboard, and probably a monitor if you want to see what you are doing...

6. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

GRUB

7. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

That's what I was afraid of. I will research GRUB some more; perhaps it is possible to select the default OS from either Windows or Ubuntu by editing a text file. So, for example, if I am in Windows and I want to reboot into Ubuntu, I could write a script that edits the text file appropriately and then re-boots Windows. Conversely, if I am in Ubuntu, and want to re-boot to Windows I would edit the text file to select Windows.