VNC Problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainZap, Mar 4, 2007.

1. CaptainZap macrumors regular

Well I would like to be able to access my computer from anywhere using VNC, I know how it works and I have used it before, but only from other computers in the house. And the problem is, I can't use it from outside of the network because of our router. It has that port blocked because my dad works from our house and the router is supplied by the company and supposedly it needs the "extra" security. Because of that, I cannot forward the port on the router (I don't know the username or password), I was wondering if there were any other ways of doing it and how to do it.

Thanks!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've been trying to do the same thing, and found this guide to be really helpful.

Basically you ssh from the machine at home (behind the router) out to the machine that you would like to use to control. That way, you don't have to do any port opening/forwarding at all.

I also started a thread to get help on a couple of problems, and it got me all sorted out just fine.

3. CaptainZap thread starter macrumors regular

That all sounds like it will work... Except for this part "you will have to map the ssh port (port 22) on your router to your adminsitrator computer"

Any way I can get around this?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, as long as you're behind a router you'll have to open up a port. At least with this method you only need do so on one end (the administrator computer), rather than for both.