VNC/Remote Desktop problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Axeon, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Axeon macrumors member

I'm currently running Apple Remote Desktop. I am also running my internet over a wireless Airport Express network. I would like for my computer to be accessible over the Internet, not just the network.

My question is, how do I get ARD/VNC working over the Internet so that people not on my network can access my computer?

Also, I do have a firewall, but I have "Apple Remote Desktop" enabled under "Sharing," as well as a VNC entry for ports 5900-5902 under "Firewall" in "Sharing."

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You need to turn on port forwarding for the VNC ports to your computer and then you access your routers internet IP address, you can find this by going to http://whatismyip.com/.

I do not have an Airport Express so I cannot tell you how to do it. Someone else should be able to though, it shouldn't be that hard.

3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

You need to set the airport up with port forwarding. This is easily done in the airport admin application, set it up to forward to the machine in question on what ever port the VNC program requires (5900-5902).
    If the mac does not have a static IP (ie; your using DHCP) give it one in system preferences. In order for that machine to connect to the internet ok in normal use set the DNS server to the IP of the airport.
    Once those two things are done go away and test it out. You can find your IP address out in the airport admin tools as well. If your ISP uses a random IP system so you don't have a fixed one you will need to set up a dynamic DNS account which will give you a name in place of the numbers and will automatically keep track of the sistuation for you. Hopefully the IP is fixed as this will make it a lot easier for you.

4. Axeon thread starter macrumors member

I opened up the Airport Admin Utility, and the only option that looks vaguely familiar of what you are talking about is "Port Mapping." However, when I go to "Add," the only available options are:

Public Port:
    Private Address: 10.0.1. (201) <-- filled in
    Private Port:

I don't think this is what I want. Can you be more specific as to where this port forwarding option is, and if that is in fact it, what I'm supposed to put in those areas?

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

The public port and private port will be the same. So for my VNC setup both the public and private read 5900. The IP address will be partly the same for all of them depending upon what IP range you chose to use on the network. Simply change the last few digits to match that of the fixed IP you've assigned to the mac you want to connect to.

6. Axeon thread starter macrumors member