VNC server/host/i'm so confused

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Philberttheduck, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    My friend needs some help and I don't want to drive 15 minutes for something that can be done in 2. Problem is he is extremely new to all of this and I'm terrible at giving directions. So i heard about VNC servers and stuff. I downloaded VineServer2.1 for OS X and I have Chicken of the VNC.

What do I tell my friend to download? And what should I fill out? What should he fill out?
  2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Well, I have no experience with the recent VineServer but use the old OSXvnc. You have to tell him to make sure that in System Preferences->Sharing that Apple Remote Desktop is unchecked, if he has the firewall up. Also tell him to make sure that the server is running (first dialog box when VineServer/OSXvnc starts up) Then begins the fun.

1) Tell your friend to go and have him tell you what his IP Address is.
    2) In CotVNC, there should be a blank, new connection. Enter in his IP address and the port number is usually defaulted to 5901. If it is not that, try 5900.
    3) Make sure you have his password (from VineServer) so you can log in.
    4) Click connect and go!

Hopefully this works.
  3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    He doesn't have to download anything.

If he goes into the Sharing preference pane, he will see a service called "Apple Remote desktop". He should check the box, then click on the "Access privileges" button. There, he should check the "VNC viewer may control screen with password", put in a password, and then give that to you along with his external IP address.

Picture 1.png
    Sharing pane with service to enable highlighted.

Picture 4.png
    Access privileges dialog. Tell him to put in a password.

After he does all this, you put in his IP address and password in Chicken of the VNC and you should be good to go.
  4. Philberttheduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    Thank you After G and zflauaus. Both methods worked very well (i had extra time so i played around with my mom's mb), and I got to fix my friend's computer with ease.
  5. 9Charms macrumors regular

May 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Would this work behind a router?

Would these two methods work if the target computer was behind a D-Link router? Or would I have to ask my friend to somehow configure port forwarding on his router?
  6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    ^ You would of course have to configure port forwarding. Whenever you're going to initiate a connection to someone's computer behind a router, the proper ports have to be forwarded.
  7. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Which is where the MR guide on this topic breaks the rules.

By initiating the ssh connection from the remote Mac, their firewall doesn't need to have any port forwarding, only yours.