vnc server on a PC, uninstallation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billyboy, Jun 7, 2004.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

My friend has had VNC server installed on her PC (with XP home) by some geek who needed to get some software from his home computer. She is nervous about it being there, so we want to uninstall it. Doesnt seem obvious how. No drag options!. Any ideas please in words of one syllable. Cheers

2. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Add/Remove Programs-there should be a entry for VNC in there.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Add/Remove Programs is located in the Control Panel. The Control Panel can be accessed by going to the Start menu, mousing over to the Settings menu and expanding it, then choosing Control Panel from the list of options.

4. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

I already looked but the program is not listed there. any ideas?
    In properties it shows that vncviewer.exe is in users/desktop. Other than that, how else to get shot of it? Thanks

5. f-matic macrumors member

try looking in the Start --> All Programs menu. if it's TightVNC that's installed, there should be a section under TightVNC for Administration, then Remove VNC System Service. even if it's another VNC program, i imagine there would be something equivalent.

best,
    np

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Maybe it doesn't have an installer - it's one of those rare Windows programs that can be removed like a Mac program - drag its executable to the Recycle Bin and empty it. I suspect it has a preference file (non-Registry based) lying around somewhere - that file, if you can find it, is also safe to delete.