Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
i am trying to set up a VNC using chicken of the VNC, to view the servers, and OSXVNC to make computers the server between my macbook and macmini, in the other room. I downloaded themon the macbook send the apps to the mini and set it up. I got it working fine with the macbook being the server and the mini controlling it form the other room, however i can not get it from the mini. I have tried forever and i really want the macbook to control the mini, any ideas, or is any more info needed? Thanks ALOT. THe two computers are connected wirelessly and they are each in different display ports. Thanks

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
They can be on the same display because they are two different machines. Post the settings of the apps on both. Is the firewall up on the mini?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
They can be on the same display because they are two different machines. Post the settings of the apps on both. Is the firewall up on the mini?

ok, and the firewall is down on both, the settings are exactly the same on both computers, but i did notice, i dont use the mini mch mainly my mom does the mini cant see my macbook on the newtwork, though i can see the mini. After farther inverstigation i found not settings to be different. CThanks for the help, any ideas?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
i dont know of this means anything but i tried teleport and they both dont see each other though it goes through rendezvous and tey do both see each other in jabber so they are on the same subnet, any ideas?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
one more question/comment after a couple more hours of messing around i got the mini to be able to see the macbok in th enetwork but when itry to get it to mount a driveit says "cannot find alias" any ideas?
thanks alot

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
i am trying to set up a VNC using chicken of the VNC, to view the servers, and OSXVNC to make computers the server

Btw you don't need a VNC server, just enable Apple Remote Desktop (System Preferences==>Sharing==>Apple Remote Desktop), and enter a password for VNC, and tick the "VNC clients may control screen" option when the attached screen comes up. I've never had any problems with this.
Picture 6.png

itry to get it to mount a driveit says "cannot find alias" any ideas?
thanks alot

It isn't connecting properly.
EDIT: To share files you don't need VNC, just enable Personal File Sharing in (System Preferences==>Sharing), and that should do the trick, to share with Windows users too, enable "Windows File Sharing"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
First, if you're using Tiger, you don't need to install OSXvnc, and that could actually be causing a problem. Uninstall it if possible, and just go into System Preferences...->Sharing->Services and turn on "Apple Remote Desktop". You'll need to supply a password. Chicken of the VNC will then connect to your other Macs without the need for OSXvnc. Do this setup on all Macs you wish to control, and install CotVNC on all the macs you wish to use as controlling clients.

Also, we need to know your network setup. If, for example, your Macs are on different subnets, you might have a problem. Are they all connected to the same router (if so, which model)? Do they all use DHCP?

Any details you can provide would be great.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
First, if you're using Tiger, you don't need to install OSXvnc, and that could actually be causing a problem. Uninstall it if possible, and just go into System Preferences...->Sharing->Services and turn on "Apple Remote Desktop". You'll need to supply a password. Chicken of the VNC will then connect to your other Macs without the need for OSXvnc. Do this setup on all Macs you wish to control, and install CotVNC on all the macs you wish to use as controlling clients.

Also, we need to know your network setup. If, for example, your Macs are on different subnets, you might have a problem. Are they all connected to the same router (if so, which model)? Do they all use DHCP?

Any details you can provide would be great.

the network is setup via a dsl 2wire router, i know we need better, but i dont have the money at the moment and the dad wont pay. i think all the macs are on the same subnet as i get the shared itunes library and in ichat bonjour works fine.
any more info? thanks ill try it withut osxvnc and see what happens. Thanks alot

edit: i gtot rid of osxvnc on the mini turned on remote desktop made a password checked al lthe fields went to the macbook in chicken of the vnc added a server for the host i put that computers ip went to displat on put in the password and get this message "cennection refused: connect()

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You got this error?

Picture 1.png

except that Localhost is the server you are connecting to, I got it when I tried to connect to myself with Apple Remote Desktop off,
one more question/comment after a couple more hours of messing around i got the mini to be able to see the macbok in th enetwork but when itry to get it to mount a driveit says "cannot find alias" any ideas?
thanks alot

Based on this too you are getting connection problems, I'm assuming you can actually play shared iTunes music not just see it in the sidebar?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
You got this error?

View attachment 63336

except that Localhost is the server you are connecting to, I got it when I tried to connect to myself with Apple Remote Desktop off,

Based on this too you are getting connection problems, I'm assuming you can actually play shared iTunes music not just see it in the sidebar?

yeah it all plays fine. this is really confusing me, generally im fairly good with a network, im in charge of it, but i just cant figure this one out. Thanks alot.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
What Router are you using? Can you download software updates for it? Before installing the update,make sure you have the original CD to hand and a backup of the router settings.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
i really dont think the router has a problem as i have gotten it working, the mini controlling the macbook. i just need it tthe other way around. Thanks
edit: yeah that is the error i get^^

dustboy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
I'm having the same issue, CotVNC will see my server via Bonjour, but when I try to connect it times out (not "connection refused" like if you use the wrong port #). I've tried everything including VNCViewer, nothing works. I can get the client computer to VNC itself.

I can ping just fine in both directions. I ran Port Scan in both directions for 10 minutes and got nothing, this makes me suspect the router??

Server: Sharing ARD in 10.4.8, 867Mhz DP G4 via ethernet
Client: CotVNC 2.0b4, 500Mhz G3 Powerbook via 802.11b
Both machines running OS 10.4.8
Network: Netgear WGR614 router/WAP

mistermaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
UK
thanks

Hey, id just like to thank you for this post, i did a search for VNC in the forums and founf this post, it solved my problems. MAny many thanks, i was up all night trying to work it out and you solved it in a second..
a million thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.