VOB to MOV and Trimming, and Now into DVD Studio Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by crees!, Mar 18, 2007.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Hey all,

I have a home movie here where I opened the VOB files in QuickTime and then saved them directly to MOV. I'd like to trim and save portions of the video but those options are grayed out in QuickTime for some reason. I do have QuickTime Pro so I'm not sure why it's not letting me trim. I have in and out points set too. MPEG2 Muxed is the codec it saved the VOB to MOV in.

\m/

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

3. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks Rod Rod. That'll do the trick.

\m/

4. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Any reason why there is audio in MPEG Streamclip but not in QuickTime?

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You're welcome.
    QuickTime Player doesn't like ac3 audio very much. There are a couple of QuickTime components to help the situation.
    AC3 Codec X (PPC; Intel version is linked in the comments section)
    A52Codec
    I suppose it can't hurt to install those components because if they don't work well for you, just delete them from ~Library/QuickTime/

6. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Okay, so MPEGStreamClip works great on setting in/out points on my MPEG-2 MOV files and saving them out. When I try to import them into DVD Studio Pro it says the files are in an incompatible format. I read in DVDSP Help (pg.55) that for MPEG-2 files it only accepts Elementary MPEG files. Since mine are muxed I assume they are Multiplexed. Can MPEGStreamClip turn these into Elementary files or not?

I mean, I can save them as MP4 but then the file size goes up a factor of 10 (55MB mpeg2 -> 630MB mp4). I don't want to keep recompressing and changing formats as I'm perfectly fine with the quality, etc... I just need to get these MPEG-2's quickly into DVDSP.

Thanks.
    \m/

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Don't transcode them to MP4. Just set your in and out, then export the elementary streams. Those elementary (MPEG2) streams should be compatible with DVD Studio Pro.

Multiplexed and muxed are synonyms.

8. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

After some further reading I saw where DVDSP accepts M2V files, and MPEGStreamClip has "export to M2V..." options. So I went with that and I guess it's okay since DVDSP imported them without fuss. (?)