VOB to Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aricher, Sep 29, 2005.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My boss needs me to convert a portion of one of our corporate DVDs to a Quicktime movie. I have ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper and now have a VIDEO_TS FOLDER with all of the .VOB files in it.

Does anybody know how I can convert these files into a Quicktime movie that has both the audio and video? I've been seacrhing the net for a solution for some time now. It seems many people use ffmpegX but I can't get it to work. Any hints? Thanks.

2. sakasune macrumors member

I suggest Handbrake. You can do a few different formats, most or all playable in QT.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in w/ some advice... I've used Handbrake to further compress the whole folder into a smaller format.

:edit: Dang it... Serves me right for opening so many tabs at once and not refreshing first. :eek:

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've had trouble getting Handbrake to convert the Video_TS folder into another format. Maybe I'm just not doing it right but ffmpegx looks like it might be the goods. Handbrake converts to H.264 (god it's stunning) from a DVD no problems - yeah, it takes all day, but I can't get it to do a Video_TS folder that I have ripped from a DVD (homemade of course).

Gonna try out ffmpegx tomorrow when I can get to the net café for broadband - dial up sucks, stupid Telstra.

5. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

I'll give HB a try right now. Been monkeying around with ffmegx for too long now. I can get .mov, .avi and .mpg files with it - sound , no picture.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm... I'm very computer illiterate but I didn't have problems compressing the Video_TS folder into mpeg4. :confused: Sorry, wish I knew how to help.

7. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Export To Quicktime works great. ffmpeg is a piece of crap, wioth very minor point releases in the past two years. I suggest ExportToQT for all of your conversion needs.

9. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Handbrake is working perfectly and is free. Export to Quicktime is $15.00 - does it do anything differently from Handbrake?

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, might have to have another crack at it, maybe I'm just not pointing it at the right folder, haven't really attempted to do anything too serious.

So ffmpegx sucks? OK, I'll stick to Handbrake. Ta.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh, and can anyone tell me if VLC can play back H.264 encoded video, all I can get it to do is sound - it works a treat in Quicktime I just have to use an Applescript to make it play full screen. Would be nice if VLC did the job.