voice over ip - anyone using?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by meta-ghost, Jan 7, 2004.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

my wife is a researcher and is looking for a few people to discuss their experiences with voice over ip. she is having a little trouble finding people actually using it. anybody here? thanks in advance.

2. yosoyjay macrumors regular

I do, I do

I use Vonage through a cable connection. It works just fine and dandy. The only thing I dislike is having to dial 10 numbers everytime I call somebody, but you get over it quickly.

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

same as above, Vonage, the only thing that sucks is that my original POTS provider dragged their feet in transferring the number. Apparently, not only can the person that owns the line be different from the person that provides the dialtone, in PA, another group owns the phone number.

I also was a key person in the Voice over IP trial at Carnegie Mellon. We used Cisco AVVID equipment. There was no problem with quality.

4. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for responding. she is looking to do something like a 45 minute interview over the phone about your experiences. from what i understand, there will be some type of compensation involved. give her a few days and i'll get back to you in this forum.

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I can speak, but I won't need any compensation. Buy a mug from Arn if you want. I am a Network Engineer at Carnegie Mellon. I helped deal with the routers and the Call Manager for our trial.

6. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I just ordered Vonage

I'll give you an update after I have it installed. I'm going to try their cheapest deal which is $15 per month with caller id and other features. I use comcast and they just increased the download speed, so now is a good time to try broadband phone service. I'm tired of SBC getting all my money.

7. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

We use Cisco AVVID at my job and it kicks all kinds of ass.

I am about to make the switch to Vonage at home, I've used it and it's impressive.

8. Gerg macrumors regular

I switched to Vonage about 1 month ago at home, and have been quite impressed. I switched from DSL to cable modem, because Charter was offering a good deal (2 months free & free installation) plus it was $10 cheaper per month and nearly 3 times the speed (2Mb service from Charter)

Now I only pay $15 per month for phone service, plus an additonal $5 for a virtual number (in another area code so family can call me locally). I get all the features you'd want, plus I get an e-mail at work whenever I get a new voice mail message, which I can listen to on-line or through the e-mail!

Even on long calls (1+ hours) I have no hiccups in the call, so nobody would ever know the difference (land-line vs. VOIP).

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I heard a guy do an interview on NPR over VOIP. The connection sounded pretty clear, but there were a couple of moments when the interviewee couldn't hear the question and had to ask the guy to repeat himself.

They even did a comparison where they called over a regular phone line and then switched back. The regular phone line sounded better, but it was very close.

10. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Vonage works great

It only took a few days to get the materials from Vonage. The phone adapter was extremely easy to hook up. You don't have to do anything to your computer. Vonage just hooks right into the cable line. I was making phone calls within 5 minutes of opening the box.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm very seriously considering switching over to Vonage. I want to clarify number transferring though because I can't get a straight answer on it. Can you transfer a POTS number, or is it only wireless numbers? If I can transfer my home number I see no reason not to make the move--half the price, thrice the features. I hardly use the phone anyway.

12. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

You can transfer your home land line phone #. I have SBC and transfering it via vonage. You fax vonage an authorization form and a copy of your cutrrent phone bill , and they use it to transfer your number and turn your service off. Just make sure you aren't behind in your phone payments.